Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two year old holland lops. This morning I found him laying on his side with his food and water untouched from yesterday. He was limp and not acting at all like himself. I took him to the vet, and the vet decided that it was a neurological injury. He thinks my bunny may not be permanently paralyzed because he can move his back legs minimally and responds to pain if you squeeze his back feet pretty hard.
The vet gave him a shot of steroids and steroid pills for the next 20 days. I have to feed him food, water and medication with a syringe. The vet said we'll just have to see if he improves.
Has anyone had an experience like this that ended POSITIVELY? Is there anything else I can do to help him? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Aw I'm so sorry! Don't give up hope though!

Don't know how similar this is, but my female holland lop BerryMelon had a stroke a little over a year ago. When I found her in her litter box in the morning she was limp and unresponsive - I thought for sure we'd loose her. Long story short, it's been a year and 3 months since her stroke and today she's a very happy bunny. She gets around pretty normally. She's blind in one eye but you can't even noticed if you don't know. She loves to do her binkies, snuggle with me and my dog, and follows me around our apartment.

What does your vet think caused the problem? Did they do any kind of diagnostic testing? How you treat him will depend a lot on what the actual problem is.

Good luck! I hope your bunny improves soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dog stepped on him the previous day, but he hopped around afterward so I thought he was fine. Also, he has ramps w/ shelves inside his cage, and he may have fallen off. I'm really not sure exactly what happened.
The vet says it's a spine injury b/c there is swelling around the spine. I didn't have the money to spring for an x-ray, although I really wish I'd done it anyway now b/c I'm very curious about the extent of the damage. I have steroids to give him for the next 20 days to hopefully make the swelling go down. My biggest concern is that I have to force feed him. I'm willing to take extra care of him and all, but I don't want him to be miserable. When was your bunny able/want to eat on her own again?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Berry was excited about eating again very quickly. She couldn't so much as lift her own head up for the first couple of weeks, so I had to hand feed her, but she very gladly took her food from me. We started off syringe feeding her but very quickly switched to feeding her solid foods by hand after we saw how excited she was about food - her eagerness to eat was one of the reasons why I didn't want to give up on her even when she was at her worst.

Berry had about 2 weeks where she couldn't move around on her own - after that was when she finally started improving and slowly started regaining function. I hope she wasn't miserable - I spent a lot of time with her just petting her and talking to her and of course I had to feed her and keep her clean since she couldn't do that stuff on her own for awhile. The times I wasn't able to spend with her I would play soft music or put her little cage in front of the tv - not sure if she cared or not but I thought maybe having something to listen too would keep her mind a little more active. Also I have two other bunnies who are all bonded so I let her buddies visit with her every day. That always seemed to perk her up.

I think all you can do right now is wait and see. Hopefully he won't be miserable and will start to improve soon. Don't underestimate him - things may seem bad now but I thought for sure Berry was going to die, and looking at her today you can't even really tell anything was ever wrong with her. You know your rabbit best and will be the best one to judge how he's feeling and make the best decisions for him.

Is he on any pain medications? I would guess that he may be in pain if it's a spinal injury and pain meds may make him feel a bit better and help convince him to eat more on his own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience, it makes me feel a lot more optimistic about the whole situation. I mixed bananas and crushed up pellets, and he's eating that on his own. I think the fact that he wants to eat again is a great sign. We've been able to keep him very involved in all the household happenings because he can't hop away. We just move his box wherever we are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He pulled his legs underneath him and sat up and then was able to hop to the litter box. I think he's going to be fine...quite a scare though

·
Registered
3 Posts
reply to injured rabbit

hi friend ,,
i dont face such a problem..but i have full sympathy for you and your tiny..so i share something with you..

A radiograph *might* show additional damage that could cause this problem (pinched nerve? healed break?), but it really depends on what the problem is. If it's a soft tissue injury, this might not show up on a radiograph, and a neurological problem certainly won't.

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion, though, in case the reason she's holding her foot up is just simple pain. In some cases like this, if the injury isn't too old, acupuncture can help restore function and ease pain. Your vet may be able to refer you to a licensed veterinary acupuncturist (all licensed vet acupuncturists are also veterinarians) to see if this might help your little gal.

Good luck, and thank you for your kindness!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts