Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this idea to have a sort of mobile hybrid veterinary hospital. I take appointments by mobile and offer surgeries/other appointments at the office.

My main reason for wanting to go mobile was because a lot of locals do not have a very local vet for their large animals. In fact, a lot of them call a vet from out of the city which costs an arm and a leg. Really there is only six vets serving 5 cities...most of them NOT here. This came to my attention when a staff member at my high school was talking about how you have to call often a couple of weeks in advance for non emergency services. Turns out my old ranch manager calls A MONTH in advance!!

My other issue is the lack of services for people that can't get around for one reason or another. I don't think it is fair that a large dog has to suffer because the owner is down on luck and cannot travel by bus to get to a vet. Shelters here DO NOT pick up feral animals unless they are to be put down. This has led to many people just allowing the cats to breed till they get lucky and get in touch with a cat person to help trap and transit them. With ALL of the services being in the same area, this makes it impossible for people in certain areas to get help.

So heres how the clinic would function. Appointments are made either by mobile or clinic. Animals that need to be transited back will go back to the clinic. Spay/Neuter clinic is open to everyone in surrounding areas and I'd pick them up the day before. Drop offs done the day after.

any other ideas welcome too. I have YEARS to plan this.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hang on, YOU would be the vet?? OR assistant in getting people appointments? So you would just be the middleman between them and their appointment?? Or are you certified to offer medical advice and services?? I'm confused.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVM. A couple of friends and I are going through a DVM program. Currently we are in the stages of premed. Sorry for the bad writing. I blame my stomach being sick lol.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Mobile vets are a terrific idea and I'd like to see more of them available. There isn't one in my area, (I live in farming country with a couple of big colleges) or my mother's area, and she lives is a highly settled region.

Some places do have them and I know people who take advantage of them. So get your DVM and set up shop! :)

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure. This is something that I will probably write out after college.

I do wish to have a more holistic approach. We have one DVM serving only the northern innermost area and she does not do exotics or large animals. The other "holistic" vets are acupuncture only.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
I used to live in the horse country of Kentucky. There were several vets who traveled around in modified vans and pickups.

There was another vet who traveled in an RV. It's not a new idea, but finding the right market for it is the real challenge.

Bob

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DVM =Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. Equal to MD for humans.

And I won't call you ignorant. :) If you don't ask when you don't know, how will you learn?
exactly. That and I believe different areas call it different things lol.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
:D thanks! I think it's a neat idea. Nobody around here does anything like that. In the smaller communities, people just do their best to feed and shelter strays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts