Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new here and I thought there'd be no better way for me to get things started than to share some photos of my pets, Abby and Nixie.

Abby is a domestic shorthair tabby I got from a local animal shelter four years ago. She's almost five years old now, and is quite fat and sassy. Nixie is a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix I got from my cousin, who raised her from birth until she was about five and a half months old. I just purchased a new home about six weeks ago, and since my cousin was feeling like she wasn't able to devote enough time to the dog, she offered to give her to me...she's such a great dog and I'm so happy to have her!

Anyway, since I can't post photos on the forum yet, click the photo in my signature to be taken to my Flickr page, where I have lots of photos of Nixie and Abby :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great work! I'm excited to have you here to see more of your work. It's inspiring to see.

I'm thinking we need a new sub forum for pet photography!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Welcome to Paw-Talk!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks to you, Zylca! I appreciate your interest in my photography and if there was a devoted pet photography forum, I'd love to be a big part of it :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks to you, Zylca! I appreciate your interest in my photography and if there was a devoted pet photography forum, I'd love to be a big part of it :D
Me too! I'm still experimenting and learning new things everyday that I can do with my camera. I need to invest in a decent post editing software to make that part more fun.

Here is a link to my favorite pics I've taken over the last year. I am on the look out for a camera upgrade. The Canon Xsi was a good choice to start but I'm wanting something a little more fancy. :p

http://zylca.smugmug.com/Other/Favorites/15053395_Ltn4y

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a link to my favorite pics I've taken over the last year. I am on the look out for a camera upgrade. The Canon Xsi was a good choice to start but I'm wanting something a little more fancy. :p
Very nice photos! I like! I'll spend some more time perusing them. Maybe the new Canon T3i or 60D would be a good upgrade!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Those are the cameras I've been eyeballing. Most of my issues can be contributed to user error for what I'm using now. Getting crisp sharp photos is my goal for this year. I have a few gems here and there but I want more consistency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What lens(es) do you use now? Often, the biggest upgrade you can make is upgrading your lens rather than your camera body. I believe they're both important, but a top-quality lens will often trump a body upgrade when it comes to the quality of your photos!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the lens kit it came with the 8-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 55-250mm 4-5.6

I picked p the 50mm 1.8 and I wonder if I got a bad copy. I have such a terrible time with it.

I am in love with the 85mm 1.8 Just have to work on getting far enough away to shoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, j9! And Zylca, I know what you mean--I used to have a 50mm 1.8 for my Nikon, but have since replaced it with a 35mm 1.8 DX-format lens that I like much, much more. It's a fantastic all-around lens. 85mm on a crop sensor is like a medium telephoto...wonderful if you have room; tricky if you don't!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts