Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a female iquana, the previous owners didn't give her baths that often, she has been shedding but the spikes on her back have layers of unshed skin, how can I get the skin to come off ? She gets a bath once a week and sprayed with vitamin spray, a few have fallen off but it bothers me that alot of them are really rough and hard. And I'm sure it bothers her.

· Resident Zoologist
263 Posts
To begin with, you need to be sure that her ambient humidity is decently high...I would look at bathing her ever 2-3 days for a couple of weeks to help rectify the issue.

Honestly, the vitamin spray is really doing nothing. Give her Miner-All in her food, but vitamin sprays are a waste of time and money.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shedding Iquana

Thanks for the info. I was reading some other posts and there was a suggestion to use oil, would that work in keeping them not so hard and stiff ? I'm not wanting to use anything that is going to hurt my girl.

· Resident Zoologist
263 Posts
Although many people over the years have used, and continue to use, oils, I am not a fan of them, as they tend to clog pores, although they do a small amount to retain moisture in the tissue. I prefer to ensure a constant, high humidity (combined with gently massaging the dry, unshed skin to help it loosen), which is a far more natural way.

A combination of proper humidity and good health (proper diet is essential here) is the best way to ensure good, complete sheds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.