Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is anybody out there using corn cob litter/bedding for their degus. I've put some in the bottom of my degu's cages and, because there are spaces they can get their hands through the floor, they are reaching through, picking up bits and eating them? I'm worried it will do them damage. They do seem to be nibbling them and not scoffing them down, but I'm still a bit worried. If anyone else is using this, can you tell me for how long and if it's a success? Many thanks all!:confused:
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
I've never used it for degus, but I have used it for other animals.

Ingestion shouldn't be a problem, unless they pig out on it. Just watch it for mold. Where ever it gets wet (like under a water bottle) it can grow mold amazingly fast.

Bob
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
I wouldn't use it. I think it's especially hazardous for animals susceptible to molds. But there are people who use it with no problems (that they are aware of...).
YMMV

Bob
 

·
Rodentologist
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
I have seen reports online of animals ingesting it and then having intestinal problems because it's quite sharp and basically indigestible. It's a huge problem with birds, and I believe that at least one person here attributed it to their rat's death.

It does mold disturbingly fast, and is especially prone to growing aspergillius mold.
http://www.avianweb.com/aspergillosis.html

Personally, I would avoid it. It's not terribly absorbent and there seem to be some risks involved with it. For the price, you can also buy similar beddings which do not have the same potential health issues.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mygala

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have seen a few posts where people have said their animals died from this. I change my degus' tray every day...four in each cage...I have to! So, the mold shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if people not changing the litter as regularly could be a factor where the mold is concerned. I've blocked the places where they can get their hands in so they can't reach down and get any more. They are little terrors! Incidentally, after a couple of experimental nibbles, they stopped bothering to get any. Mind you, they are spoiled with all sorts of other tasty bits and pieces. But, I'm not taking any chances. Thanks for all your advice.
 

·
Rodentologist
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
zoo200000uk, there have been reports of this bedding molding within 24 hours. Most people don't change their bedding every single day, especially if they've got a large enclosure. I've never experienced mold with aspen or carefresh or yesterday's news in a 24 hour period!
 

·
RAT ADDICT
Joined
·
19,199 Posts
I hate corncob and DON'T reccommend it.It gets moldy and IMO doesn't absorb well.Plus I had a perfectly healthy rat die from choking on it! :(
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top