Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet told me he's part Husky & part Border Collie but a lot of other people have said he has to be that and more...I don't remember what other breeds they've mentioned but it was big dogs. I see the Husky & the Border Collie but I don't see anything else. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! :) Ever since I started hearing he's more than just the two breeds, I've been looking online at other dogs and comparing but I really can't see see it. I see the Border Collie on his chest- the fur is a lot longer and it's black and white. Do you know what else he might be?

·
Registered
374 Posts
The only other I could come up with would be an English Shepherd but that's so similar to a Border Collie I would not count that as a new suggestion.

I guess what throws me off is how square his muzzle looks right now.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
chances are he is more than those 2 breeds as its unlikely that it was an unplanned litter of a purebred husky and a purebred border collie. Depending on where you are chances are it is another common breed from there, such as lab mix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can definitely see husky and collie in him. He could also have some lab in there. Or elkhound.

It's definitely possible that there is more to him than husky collie.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I think I can see the English Shepherd in his face...I looked online and noticed a lot of them have a little bit of color just above their eyes- going upwards. And I also looked at Elkhound pictures and I think I can see it in his size and where he carries a lot of the weight. But I'm guessing it'll change as he gets older.
We heard from one of my husband's employees that his mom is Husky and his dad is Border Collie, so I'm thinking he's talking about some other runaway pup. I'm going to ask around and see if I can find his parents owner's and get some history on him.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
There's no real way to tell for sure unless maybe you can find out what his parents are. Like Kendalle said though his parents could be mixes too so if you don't know exactly what mixes his parents are it'll still be just a guess as to what type of mix he is. What type of dogs are common in your area? Most mixes are made up of the more common dog breeds, like lab mixes, pit bull mixes, etc.

Some people get DNA tests done to determine breed mixes but I've heard varying reports about how accurate the tests really are.

Unless you can get some definite answers about his parents or maybe do a DNA test, guessing at what breeds he could be is really just a guessing game. I'm no good at guessing breeds so I won't even attempt to guess what your dog is. But whatever he is, he's adorable!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I'm gonna try to find out what he is cuz curiosity is killing me! UGH! lol..I'm bad with that, I hate not knowing for sure. We'll see soon enough (I hope) =)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
If you really really want to know you can ask your vet about DNA tests. The most accurate tests are suppose to be the ones that use a blood sample that your vet can draw for you.

As he grows it might become easier to tell what he could be mixed with too.

Keep us updated if you find anything out! Talking to his parents owners could defiantly help shed some light on things.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
DNA testing could work if its that important. I know for the pet expo back in June there was a contest Guess the Breed of the locally famous mutt from the downtown dog supply store The Doghouse. His name is Jake and he definitely is a terrier of some sort. The DNA said he was 75% standard poodle and the rest something other than terrier. The owner paid good money to have it done too, but I think its 'off'.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on the test, it really doesn't matter much what breed they are. Its already your dog and you know the majority of the breed it is and can work with that with games and things that it could like based on breed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Possibility for shepherd in there, but hard to tell on a younger pup.

DNA tests - it all depends on the test, the collection, and the breed database the company holds. I doubt ANY company has a "complete" breed database, but some have more than others. If the breed is not in the database, it can't be detected, plain and simple. If the collection is bad, its going to mess up the results too.

And as far as how important it is about breed - some breeds have characteristics that others do not. Some breeds respond better to training than others. Some breeds have behaviors that other breeds do not. Some breeds are more prone to certain health issues than others. Mixed breeds will have a combination of all breeds that make them. Knowing what those breeds are, or at least the dominant ones, is important because you know what to expect. You will know what to expect in the dog's behavior, training or trainability, intelligence, stubborness, and health. By knowing that my dog is part American Staffordshire Terrier, I can recognize she could have a tendency for being dog aggressive and having a high prey drive, thus I know to be careful with her around other dogs, not let her play too rough, and watch behavior cues to stop a fight before it happens, and be careful with her around small animals. By knowing she is part Pointer, I can also recognize that she will want to scent and track, I will know what she is doing when she's pointing. I can also alter my training methods to suite her better, because both breeds can have a tendency for being somewhat stubborn at times. By knowing she has Pointer in her, I now know why she is suspicious around strangers, since pit bulls really should not be. She isn't a "bad" pit bull, she is a "good" pointer, in that respect. Because she has inherited characteristics from all the breeds that make her, I now better understand her. Does that make her any different as a pet? No, it really doesn't, but it helps enhance MY understanding of her and how to deal with her.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not that desperate to know what he is to do a DNA test- just curious because of what people have said. I would never do any kind of test on him unless it was health related. I love him no matter what breeds he may or may not be.
I have asked around, but the people that I've asked don't really know anything...I'm thinking he may be from the other side of town. I guess I might be able to tell when he's a bit older.
So far I've learned that he can be stubborn...but he listens most of the time, especially with humping my daughter, which he hasn't done in like over a week. When we go out, he wants to sniff everything in sight and that's when a lot of his stubbornest comes out and he pulls but we're working on it and he's getting better at it. And he's also very sneaky, he'll try every which way to get what he's got his little eyes on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts