Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted the vet who did Apollo's neuter about getting Moki Neutered ... They havent gotten back to me about it.

But is it worth it? He seems so sad and terrified being alone. And he cant live with girls un altered and he can never live with other males.

I am trying to make the best choice for him.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why cant he live with other males? How high is the risk of surgery for him? Is it higher than normal? and from my little bit of experience with rats.. they MUST have social interaction to live a long happy life.. maybe he will live a content life alone.. but I think he will be happier with other furry friends... But if the risk of surgery is too high.. then you have some thinking to do.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mice are not rats Male mice will kill each other ... i also have rats Yuki and Apollo ... Mice are different.

Its the same risk as other small animals I am just worried ...

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Mice are not rats Male mice will kill each other ... i also have rats Yuki and Apollo ... Mice are different.
Yeah you kinda didn't specify....

But in short, there are multiple ways to neuter nowadays. Some vets will do traditional under the knife neuters. However I heard (when I had rats) that some vets refuse to do that but instead give the males a shot. It is some chemical that shrinks the testes till they are no more (or completely defective.)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moki's picture is in my sig though ... So I didnt feel I needed to specify ... And my vet does traditional Neutering.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Is your vet good enough to do a mouse neuter? My vet does them and I know of another vet who has. Male mice are more like rats and actually bond with their owners more than the females do generally. He will need a lot of mental stimulation in his cage and a lot of interaction with you.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She did great on Apollo's neuter. And i know they bond more but when he is so terrified he is pooping in my hand something is wrong :( He wont even use a ball or go on his wheel anymore :(

I asked the vet if she would and they didnt call me back.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why is he so scared all the time?

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No idea :( I am very gentle with him but we cant even get him to take treats :(

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Were you able to before? Has his personality changed?

I wouldn't use a runabout ball for a mouse either, its terrifying, they cannot get away from "predators", cannot smell them either...

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a male rat, runty and he was desexed so that he could be placed in the same cages as the girls, everything went smoothly... apart from the cost!! haha the price to desex him was the same as a kitten.. however he's still active and boisterous as always so no effects in personality, i also have two mice that live in the same cage, so don't know about these comments regarding mice not being able to be in the same cage, i have been warned about it in the past but have had no issues with my two.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
i have a male rat, runty and he was desexed so that he could be placed in the same cages as the girls, everything went smoothly... apart from the cost!! haha the price to desex him was the same as a kitten.. however he's still active and boisterous as always so no effects in personality, i also have two mice that live in the same cage, so don't know about these comments regarding mice not being able to be in the same cage, i have been warned about it in the past but have had no issues with my two.
Very rare and often 2 males will live together then turn and literally rip each other apart. Usually one ends up dead. You are very lucky, but its not the norm at all.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I no longer put him in the ball

and my vet is willing to neuter him and has even done hamster and gerbil and of course rat neuters so he should make it :D and it is the same exact price as for my rat boys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very rare and often 2 males will live together then turn and literally rip each other apart. Usually one ends up dead. You are very lucky, but its not the norm at all.
yeah well i've always had male mice together, never any problems, yes they have their little squabbles but as long as i keep them at all times separated from females i have no issue. i do however introduce at birth/ infant stage, so that will definitely have an impact.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still it is FAR from advised. Their health comes first and I adopted an adult plus why even risk it?

Anyway BACK ON TOPIC ... Moki is getting Neutered

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good luck Moki!!! Your picture is so cute.. Hector says.. "Sorry 'bout losin ur nuts my little friend... but all will be ok!"

All our love...

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL Its ok Both Moki and Yuki are going in for surgery. its just going to be a little while. But shouldnt be too long with a steady job ... about two weeks ...

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I had my mice I didn't know any better and had two littermate males live together.

They were together from day 1 and given to my boyfriend who took excellent care of them. They were fat, healthy, happy til one day he found a skeleton in the cage, and the other mouse dead as well.

They had fought so badly that one was killed and eaten, and the other died of fatal wounds. He had them together for MONTHS before this occurred.

Not trying to be scary, just saying that "I haven't had problems so far" is a false sense of security.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same experience so there is NO way i will ever risk that again

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah.. it's pretty scary to think you're caring for something as perfectly as you can then they suddenly do something like that.. ><

1 - 20 of 21 Posts