Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Is My Kitten Healthy?

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Aluyasha 
#1 ·
I have a 5 month old kitten named Jak-ke. She was the runt of the litter, she was very small. About the size of a mouse when born. Well, she has her "teenage" body now, the whole stretchy body and has lost her fluffy kitten hair (not that she is bald, she now has her adult looking hair).
Well she probably weighs about 2 pounds. I was wondering is that ok? She eats alot and does not act sick or fragile or anything like that. I was just curious of everyones opinions. :)
Here is a picture of her from about a month ago:

And here is her, also about a month ago, next to one of my full grown cats Tao:

See less See more
#3 ·
She has an appointment on Tuesday for a spay. That is why I was wondering.

#5 ·
Is it possible for her size to mess with her heat cycle?
This morning she showed no sign what-so-ever of being in heat (I have had plenty of cats to know what the heat dance looks like). Then about 3pm today she started acting like she was in heat...well it lasted for about 6 hours and now she is acting totally normal again. Is this possible?
I mean, she was literally the size of a mouse as a kitten. And my uncle has one of her sisters and she is twice the size of Jak-ke.
Jak-ke also had a spinal problem for the first few months of her life. She had a pretty big hunch in her back because her mom had 8 kittens and one was even stillborn because there was no room (Jak-ke's mom, Dottie, weighs about 5 pounds and is thin as a rail).
Anyhow, do you think she can have a heat cycle that only lasted a day?

#8 ·
If she was runt, she might be a small cat her whole life. I lived with a petite little runt of a kitty named Fjola who lived to be about 5-6 then passed away of something in her kidneys. (I'm removed from the situation now and have no details or contact with her owner). So its something you want to check out just to be sure. I mean, I know problems can afflict all cats but runts of most species are afflicted with problems more so. Good luck at the vets Tuesday!! Let us know how she is :) She's gorgeous btw

#9 ·
Thank you for the compliments everyone. And yes I will be sure to ask the vet all these questions before spaying her. :)

#11 ·
Well it has been a few hours since I brought Jak-ke back from the vet. She is doing good...A little too good. lol. She is running around jumping and playing. I try to stop her everytime I see her do it but then she thinks I am playing with her and runs around more, ugh, that is how Jak-ke is though. I should expect this.
At least dispite the playfulness her cut looks good. Not red or swollen. :)
However my two other cats hate her now. They keep chasing her and hitting her, making her fall off of stuff. I am trying to pet her alot to make her feel better and to get her smelling more like home. So far they seem to hate her more. :(

#14 ·
They just told me if she licks it alot to put the tube part of a sock on her stomache. Nothing much about activity.
She is playing with a ball now. I keep checking her stitches and they are looking good. No redness or swelling still.
I think it is going to be nearly impossible to stop Jak-ke from playing around. She is the most active cat ever. Even if I took down the cat scratcher she still would climb up the chairs and on the counter and up my leg. lol
Now she is playing hide and seek with herself in a box. :)

#15 ·
sounds like my male cat moe after he was neutured we brought him home and he was already jumping everywhere counter tops ect. i think it all depends on the cat.

#16 ·
She just now calmed down a little. She has been chasing a ball for the past few hours. :)
Tao is letting her be near now. But Drew still is hitting her. :(
And I think it is hurting Jak-ke's feelings because she is very cose to Drew. I hope Drew gets over it soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.