Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my two female fancy rats for about 2 months now (River Song and Amy Pond). We took them to the vet when we first purchased them and they were treated for respiratory troubles (no shocker there). they're currently on Baytril twice a day but I noticed that Amy made some sort of strange noise when I took her out to play that can only be described as an oinking or snorting noise. She made it for about 2 minutes and then stopped and hasn't made in since (it's been about a half an hour of silence). Should I be concerned? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love my girls and want them to have a long and happy life :(

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I'm not sure.. It sounds like respiratory troubles though. I never had rats but my sister has (and does) - msg her VanillaRat.. I think with resp. illness, and even on meds the problem never goes away but only subsides. . I think.. Anyway, your rat can still enjoy a good quality of life as long as she takes meds. :) Congrats on the little ones and Welcome to PT!

· Registered
1,317 Posts
It's almost definitely related to the resp. issues. Keep treating her with the Baytril course. If you don't notice a significant improvement, ask the vet to do a Baytril/doxycycline combination for her. The two are most effective together.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to your two girls, Amy Pond and River Song. :)
Yes, the oinking sound can be related to respiratory troubles and it looks like Breyer just gave you some great advice about the meds. Also, of course, make sure your girls are not on bedding that might make them sneeze as well as being aware of their environment (i.e. air fresheners, perfume, incence, scented stuff like that) but yes, I am sure it is probably related to the respiratory issues. Vanilla Rat is also a great person to get advice from too, as Purple Hops suggested. I hope we get to see pics of your girls soon. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.