Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked Constantine up and i brushed my hands on her and some fur came out...i pulled a little on her fur...and more came out...so i started to pet her some more..thinking that would be it...but to my shock more fur started to shed....
is this normal or an impact of stress?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont see her going bald, but it worries me bc i literally ended up with a full palmful of hair!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I find my albino and hooded rats do that...especially the male albino. After they climb on me, there's usually a ton of hair left in their wake. A handful of hair is odd, though. I've never really tried pulling it myself though.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Try and take a pic of how much hair in your hand.
Some rats must have tight hair follicles and rarely shed, whereas others (the light coloured rats when you are wearing dark clothing of course :p) seem to shed a lot more.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
My rats shed too...I noticed they shed more in the winter and spring months.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i will take a pic and let everyone judge this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some occasional shedding is normal, but pulling out handfuls is not. Poor diet and nutrition could cause hair loss, as well as ectoparasites like mites and lice. Mites and lice can be picked up from their bedding, so it is very easy for them to get them. Do you notice any scabs, or are they scratching a lot?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

its still cold and winter here, so it doesnt make much sense for her to shed yet..she doesnt have bedding, maybe my clothes in the house i made here on my desk...perhaps it could be stress?
i dont think its her diet bc i ve been feeding the same thing since she was a tot..

i know the pic doesnt show much, but thats after i took a handful the day before

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah that what im thinking, i was shocked to see it, but could it be that i had put her in a cage for three days, bc my friend was visiting and is terrified of rats,

...well Constantine isnt used to cages...so maybe that did it?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Oh wow! My rats do not shed like that! Maybe it is stress...do she scratch alot or anything?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
Oh wow! My rats do not shed like that! Maybe it is stress...do she scratch alot or anything?

she isnt itching, and i have checked for mites..and there arent any..i really think it might of been stress, and if it was im glad i was able to get her out of the cage...when i pick at the fur i get a good bit but i think im getting less...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, that is a LOT of hair! Stress could possibly do that, like you said you changed her schedule a bit by keeping her in her cage more. But I would more likely suspect diet or parasites. When you checked for mites, how did you check? Mites are microscopic, and a skin scraping or a tape test must be done to check properly, and most of the time that is a false negative. If it goes on for more than a week, I would think you can rule out stress, if everything is back to normal now that your friend is gone.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cinc0009 said:
Wow, that is a LOT of hair! Stress could possibly do that, like you said you changed her schedule a bit by keeping her in her cage more. But I would more likely suspect diet or parasites. When you checked for mites, how did you check? Mites are microscopic, and a skin scraping or a tape test must be done to check properly, and most of the time that is a false negative. If it goes on for more than a week, I would think you can rule out stress, if everything is back to normal now that your friend is gone.
i pulled some hair out, and taped it unto a microscope slide and looked at it under an actual microscope, she's clean of mites..so now i really think she was stressed a lot!...i feel so bad

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
How is she doing?
ever since i took her out of the cage, and just let her live back on my desk, i pull less hair, not the handfuls i did 2wks ago, but i still can pull some out, maybe like 15 hairs at a time..so its definately less

·
Registered
710 Posts
Glad she's doing better

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks, its amazing how some stress can cause it...in only a matter of 2-3 days

1 - 20 of 20 Posts