Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting another animal or two within the next few months, and I'm having a difficult time choosing a species!

I am looking for a calm, gentle animal that enjoys being handled and/or interacting with people. Right now, I have two dogs and a cat, so I'd like something a little different (although I haven't completely ruled out getting a second cat). Some kind of rodent or small animal, or maybe a little parrot.

There's just one other thing: If I get a small, furry pet, he or she has to be comfortable living alone and only getting attention from me. I have read a lot of horror stories about rodents cannibalizing dead cage mates, and I don't want to take any chances. Yes, I know it's natural behavior, and I know it doesn't always happen, but it's not something I can handle.

The duprasi is my dream pet, but I'm having a really hard time finding any in my state, let alone locally! So, I guess I have to keep looking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I really want to talk to people who have experience with various species and know what it's like to live with them. :)

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
well you can get a syrian hamster, but they are naturally solitary animals. yes this is good for you, but they arent really social with us humans, just tame. i'd suggest 2 boy rats. rats are like us humans and crave lovin'. they're smart as dogs (no eating a cagemate) can learn their names and be litter trained. i suggested boys becasue theyre bigger and calmer. my boys just love to lie on my shoulders and watch me do my housework. and lits of licking love, just like dogs! oh how i love them so!

·
Banned
39 Posts
Puget Blue Sound Garters are nice, as well as Bearded Dragons.
Maybe some Red-Eared Sliders, or Rabbit? A hermit crab or fish.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I wouldn't go for hermit crabs or fish if you want a cuddly animal

·
Registered
133 Posts
A rabbit. They can be very sweet, even potty train, and are similar in sleeping habits to cats so will adjust well to your schedual. Rabbits though social wild usually don't integrate well with other rabbits so would love your company just give it plenty of attention.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
i wouldn't so much a snake or lizard either...

some chinchillas are snuggly or rats i like rats but you should get 2

·
Banned
39 Posts
i wouldn't so much a snake or lizard either...

some chinchillas are snuggly or rats i like rats but you should get 2
True, but Bearded Dragons can be cuddly. Mine is atleast:D. If you get him used to handling, and you make him want to. Like I hold mine 3 times a week, and give him a cricket after. Sometimes I will put him on my shoulder or head and walk around the house. When you think of Bearded Dragon it is not cuddly but it can be. Mine is 1 1/2 years old, you have to train them at a young age and they are very cool to watch, and don't bite, and are cool around humans.
I would say./........go with a small rabbit or bunny, second a bearded dragon;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. I did have a rabbit years ago, and he was awesome, but I keep reading that they're happiest with another rabbit friend. I think I'll talk to someone at the local rabbit rescue about this.

I've also had rats in the past and was strongly considering them for awhile. However, I recently read about others' experiences (regarding the cannibal thing) with the species and changed my mind. I still love them a lot, but I'd think twice about getting them again. :(

I've done a lot of research on chinchillas and would consider myself very lucky if I found a really social one! If I did, though...

Maybe I should do some more research on birds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the best way to pick out your next baby is to know exactly what you want from your next pet like cuddly,small,ect.,which sounds like you already know then research all the animals that you are interested in. Thats the best advise I can give. Also don't forget to research all the different breeds as well............Good luck:angel:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Rats make wonderful pets! But they thrive in at least a pair.However they do not eat their dead cagemates,they grive for them.I have had alot of rats over the yrs and not one has ever eaten a cagemate.The only way I see that happening is if they were starving.

Rats are cuddly,affectionate,love to be with humans,playful,can be trained and learn things and clean.Males get bigger and squishier and are better suited for lap rats,while the females are alot more active and playful and smaller.

A syrian hamster is a good choice if you want a solitary animal,but you have to keep in mind they are not really cuddly.My syrian is very friendly and loves to be out and held,but not for a long period of time.

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
For what you have said my guess would be to get a rabbit, ferret or maybe a bearded dragon. I recommed a pair of rats. I have read what you put don't get me wrong, but like Vanilla_rat said I have never heard of rats eating their cagemate unless they are starving, I have only heard this about dwarf hamsters and mama hamster eating her babys. I think a syrian hamster is a good idea to, but I have only ever had one and got really really lucky, because the only person he has ever bitten was my best friend. You can hold my syrian for hours, he loves it, but now he is an old man and just falls asleep in my lap instead of playing like he used to, it's his birthday today bless him.. thats why he is called valentine, Imay have only been lucky because I think he was weaned a week early and I was more of a mum to him having to hand feed him... I could go on for ever so...
yes I think that a pair of male rats (females are prone to tumours).
(Valentine is in the pictue above)

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
I think rats would probably be your best bet actually. I would like to know where you are hearing that rats cannibalize each other......

I would seriously research the animals though. Rabbits can be destructive and they are VERY expensive to take to the vet if anything should arise. Ferrets can be like having a 3 year old and they need a lot of attention. Birds especially parrots have to have a chance to bond with their owners. It is actually suggested to stay home with them the first few weeks you have them (that means not going to work etc.)

Just make sure you research your pet and are ready for anything that should happen while you are caring for that pet. You already said that you have 2 dogs and a cat, I wouldn't get anything that is going to require tons of attention because you have your other pets too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel bad for neglecting this thread, but I've been really busy!

Anyway, I do appreciate the responses, and I understand why a lot of people have recommended rats. Regarding them, I have read several others' experiences on a few forums. From what I understand, it's something that rarely happens, but I'm still concerned about the possibility.

I have another reason for not getting them (again), too: I have done a lot of research on quarantine, and I just don't know anyone else nearby who would want to quarantine my new rats for me. What I mean is, if I had a pair and one died, I would get two more rats to be companions for him/her. But I don't want to risk introducing a disease because I can't find someone else to care for my new ratties until the quarantine period is over.

I have looked at ferrets, but they tend to be too energetic for me. What about senior ferrets? Do they tend to mellow out as they age, like a lot of dogs, or do they remain playful and active all their lives?

Right now, I'm considering a bird, like a lovebird. I had a budgie and cockatiel and they were really sweet, so I do have some avian experience. I really adore rodents and small animals, though, and that's still my preference.

Perhaps I should change my idea of what an "interactive" animal means?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Rat quratine can take place in the same house.Just put them into a seperate room where your resident rats (meaning if you had rats) wouldn't be.This is what I do.I quarantine new rats in a seperate room and have never had issues.

I don't know anything about ferrets,but they need ALOT of care...something like if you have a child.I have a 3 yr old child along with several other pets,so a ferret wouldn't be for me.

A good thing you can do...is research some animals your interested in and make a pro/con list for them.Then you can decide what animal suits your needs best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can quarantine them in the same house? I keep reading that the animals can't share the same air space during quarantine, so it's good to know I could do this in another room instead (if I chose to get rats).

I have decided against a ferret because of the activity level and the fact that I had a big sneezing fit the only time I handled one. Possible allergies?

I love the pro/con list and wondered why I didn't try that sooner. I did have a list of what I wanted in an animal, with all the animals I could think of on the back. Maybe a different type of list will help me get my priorities straight. :)

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
I have never owned ferrets before, but I have been to a market and they were selling them in a big tent, so while I was there I learnt some stuff about them. The man who was selling ferrets was holding one under its armpits and stroking it's belly as it dangled down. he said that if you get an older one, than it will as you say, they are more slower and become more sleepy and cuddly. he said that he has a large cage at home with food, water and a hammock for his ferret to to sleep in. he said because his ferret was old he took out most of the toys and left a ball or what have you in there. he also said he leaves his in the cage all day while he goes to work and when he gets back he checks the cage, takes out any droppings then gets his ferret out for a cuddle and quick run around for an hour than in another hour or two takes him out again. so as you want to know than yes, maybe an older rescue ferret would be ideal.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
You can quarantine them in the same house? I keep reading that the animals can't share the same air space during quarantine, so it's good to know I could do this in another room instead (if I chose to get rats).

I have decided against a ferret because of the activity level and the fact that I had a big sneezing fit the only time I handled one. Possible allergies?

I love the pro/con list and wondered why I didn't try that sooner. I did have a list of what I wanted in an animal, with all the animals I could think of on the back. Maybe a different type of list will help me get my priorities straight. :)
Well I have had rats and mice for many yrs and have always done quarantine in the same house with no problems! :D I know of other people who do as well.As long as they are in seperate rooms,it should be fine.

Good luck!!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've done some more research and another possibility might be an older chinchilla. By getting an adult animal, I'd be able to choose one that had exactly the personality I want.

I know a lot of chinchillas don't like to be held, but I found quite a few on Petfinder that love attention. It might be a few months yet before I get another animal, so I have plenty of time to read up on proper care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update...I haven't adopted any animals yet, but I have decided that I will get either a pair of guinea pigs or a small parrot.

I had three guinea pigs as a kid and they were very sweet and loved being held and handled. The reason I hadn't considered getting them again was because I remember how badly (and how quickly) their cages stunk. Of course, this was in the days before there were much better bedding alternatives, and they lived in open aquariums, too. Knowing what I do now, I would definitely take care of my new piggies differently. I also would do some volunteer work for the local GP rescue before bringing any home.

If I chose a bird, I would go for either a budgie or a lovebird.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts