Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if this liter was okay for my little hedgie Ron Jeremy. Fresh Step: Cat Litter Crystals, 8 lb. It's at Wal-Mart. As of right now I'm using Fresh Step: Clay Cat Liter, with odor eliminating carbon. Is that even okay? I'm unsure on what liter to use:/ walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10313505#

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Is that a clumping litter? Usually you want to avoid that kind since it tends to clump to the hedgehog itself. Honestly, I would try to keep it simple and avoid the fancy "crystals". A simple clay litter or wood stove pellets would not only be cheaper but also safer. Another good option would be a paper-based litter like Yesterday's News--it's completely safe and pretty easy to clean :).

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Ive never had a hedgie but Ive done alot of research on them (I really want one some day!) and Ive read that Aspen is one of the best beddings for them. I forgot exactly why, but its probably cheaper than the beddings that you are using!

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
No do not use fancy 'crystal' littlers. If you hedghog ingests it, it could cause a
lot of harm.

You should also avoid clay littlers. They are dusty which can cause respirory issues. Clay littlers are also harmful if ingested, could end up getting alll over your hedghog. Clay hardens like concret.

Clay littlers also contain carcinogens which are harmful to you and your hedghog and they are harmful to the enviornment. I don't even use clay for my cat.

Stove pellets work well, so does Aspen

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Yes it will bleed a little and when your hedgehog walks on it, it will make his feet black.

Something like Yesterday's News won't though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Okay! I was thinking, "Yesterdays News? That's the same thing as todays news!" But duh. It's a brand of cat liter! haha. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts