Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Formerly Known as mya_papaya
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we were low on bedding so my mom went and bought some and instead of aspen she got timothy hay........... and alot of it..... is this ok to use as bedding? like i dont mean just for a nest or w/e i mean for the whole cage..... they seen to really love it... but im not too sure...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
You know, I actually don't know the answer to that question, as timothy hay is used normally for chinchillas and rabbits. However, when used for chinchillas and rabbits, it is not as bedding, it is a source of nutrients and so it is provided daily just like normal food (to go along with the pellets, etc.) Therefore, my only concern would be that your mice would eat it, and I am not sure if that would be good for their digestive systems, or if it would give them a nutrient overload.

Advice, chin owners? Anyone?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I"m sure it's ok as bedding, just not very good at absorption, lol.

I know plenty of people who use guinea pig pellets as bedding for their mice/rats.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I read in a book about first mice that hay is the very best bedding you could use, because aside from being very warm and easy to make into a nest, its great for their teeth :) I'm not sure if Timothy Hay is different because it's not as common here in the UK but i reckon the same would probably apply. If they seem to like it it's probably ok... but don't take my word for it! Also in this case, it is probably talking about JUST the sleeping area, rather than the whole cage but as long as it's kept clean i think it should be fine!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
Hay is fine to use in a mouses cage as they would eat it and live in it in the wild as use it for bedding, its just not very good at absorbing stuff so would smell quicker than shavings etc They are better on shavings though in the long run but on a temporary basis it would be ok to use :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Like everybody said, ok as bedding, but not as absorbing. Also, like corncob, tends to mold if it gets too much humidty. Here, aspen is hard to find and what you usually get is pine and cedar, so if I don't find aspen, I buy hay (any kind, as long as it's mold, pests and insecticide free) and some cheap toilet paper (I get a pack of 4 rolls for $1 at the dollar store). I shred the TP and mix it with the hay (about half and half), and use it as bedding. They usually pick out some TP pieces and build a nest with it, but the TP makes it more absorbent, and the hay more odor free (even though they still get smelly, not as smelly like with only TP).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
I've heard that if hay gets wet, it can actually catch on fire! Something to do with a chemical reaction that causes it to self-combust. Crazy, huh? I think it would be ok for you to give your mice a little timothy hay, but not to use as the only bedding. Like others said, it doesn't absorb liquid well and can get moldy if wet. I use hay on top of feline pine in my rabbits litter boxes, but they get their box changed daily so they never have wet or moldy hay.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Hay definately does not spontaniously combust when wet!! Whoever wrote that was a bit daft I'd say! Anyway I agree it is fine to use for bedding, I would throw in some paper towels too.

And Veggie feline pine is NOT good for rabbits. They are very similar to rats, in that they are very susceptible to URI's I would switch to Yesterday's news if I were you!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
SugarLoveRats said:
Hay definately does not spontaniously combust when wet!! Whoever wrote that was a bit daft I'd say! Anyway I agree it is fine to use for bedding, I would throw in some paper towels too.

And Veggie feline pine is NOT good for rabbits. They are very similar to rats, in that they are very susceptible to URI's I would switch to Yesterday's news if I were you!
I learned about the combustion of hay on a Discovery Channel show. They were mainly talking about it happening in barns where livestock are kept. There were scientists there doing a study and I did see it self-combust. It was crazy. I wouldn't make that up. ;)

Feline Pine is approved by the House Rabbit Society www.rabbit.org and the Bunny Bunch (rabbit rescue) and many other rabbit groups. The oils in wood that cause health problems have been removed, so it is said to be safe and a great litter to use in rabbit litter boxes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Your Kidding me!! That's nuts LOL. I have never seen or heard of that, I imagine it must be quite rare then?? Weird. Anywho as far as the pine, I said that cuz I've heard people discuss the feline pine before and say it was bad, but I'm not saying they were right. As far as bunnies, I'm sure you know more than I do.
I really can't get over the hay thing LOL!! :blob7:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
veggiegirl said:
I learned about the combustion of hay on a Discovery Channel show. They were mainly talking about it happening in barns where livestock are kept. There were scientists there doing a study and I did see it self-combust. It was crazy. I wouldn't make that up. ;)
Its probably right hay can self combust in barns as lets face it its very dry and in a dry barn it would be easy to catch fire plus theres lots of factors that can cause it too like sunlight, friction, gases from faeces and urine etc so thats most probably accurate but in a cage its fine well unless you handy with matches or a lighter :mad: :lol: Lets face it though if humans can spontaneously combust anything can :rolleyes:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
Amethystbelle said:
Its probably right hay can self combust in barns as lets face it its very dry and in a dry barn it would be easy to catch fire plus theres lots of factors that can cause it too like sunlight, friction, gases from faeces and urine etc so thats most probably accurate but in a cage its fine well unless you handy with matches or a lighter :mad: :lol: Lets face it though if humans can spontaneously combust anything can :rolleyes:
Yeah, it has something to do with the chemical reaction that occurs when hay gets wet and moldy. I saw it on a show where they were trying to solve what started the Chicago fires. It was supposedly started by a cow kicking over a lantern, but they were exploring other possibilities. It was really crazy.
 

· Formerly Known as mya_papaya
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im even more confused now.......... lol
so its ok to use if i mix it w strips of tp?????????????
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
mya_papaya said:
im even more confused now.......... lol
so its ok to use if i mix it w strips of tp?????????????
Lol, I'm sure its fine. I didn't mean to scare you with the fire thing. I'm sure its really rare and has to have certain conditions for that to happen, and I've never heard it happening in a cage before. Sorry to scare you!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top