Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, no one was really posting on the old thread anymore that I'd made, so I thought maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread.
First of all, thanks for your love and luck on the other thread after Arthur had finished meds. I thought that maybe the infection had cleared up after two lots of meds, however, after two days of everything going well, Arthurs chest infection had proped up again.
I'm not sure when I can next get him to the vets, but it will be as soon as I can.
I noticed Arthur was breathing bad again when he was out on free-range, like something is triggering it, almost as if he is asthmatic, but I don't think you can get asthmatic rats??
Anyway, for now I have a few viarities of vitamins I can give him... I know this is going to sound sooo stupid, but if I were to puff some of my inhaler near Arthur and he breathed some stuff in, ould it help him breath, like it helps me or would that be dangerious?
Thanks in advance, luv you all xxxx

·
Fluffy Chimphead
1,037 Posts
I would call your vet to ask them what they thought about that , I am sorry he keeps getting chest infections I hope that he gets over it soon and that it doesn't come back.

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Nikkita im so sorry hun,
But the way you are explaining about when hes just out freeranging it just triggers off this is the way toto was :( untill he got worse and worse.
Please keep an eye on him because i still blame myself for toto having to be PTS because i thought i never thought i done enough.
Keep pumping Vits into him untill you can get to a vet, as LuvMeTrue phone and ask for advice.
I don't know about the inhalier(sp?) but try putting him in the bathroom when you are in the bath or shower and the hot water might keep his airways clear but of course wont cure him!!
Keep me updated hun, and remember what i went threw with toto! try and do everything you can for him!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to the both of yous :)
Did you do anything with Toto that helped that I could do now to make Arthur more comfortable?
I am trying my best with Arthur, but his breathing just won't settle.
Yeah, before free range, I know he wasn't breathing badly, but I had to go upstairs to check on him because I could hear him running from one end of my room to the other over and over again and I didn't know what was wrong (He had my cotton wool bag, which was open, and as he was running, all the cotton wall was coming out on my floor LOL) So I picked him up and he was breathing all bad like it was when it first happened :(
The thing is, that I've had Arthur since april and my room hasn't really changed, so I don't think anything in my room could be upsetting his chest.
His breathing hasn't been as constant as before though, so it is better, I must admit.
I just don't like the idea of putting him through to much stress, but I really love him and I don't want to let go either. Since he has been on his own, he has turned into the sweetest most cuddliest and most wonderful rat under my care and I can honestly say that I've become extremely emotionly attatched to this rat and I love him sooo much, nmore than ever, so it's really hard.
Luv yous and thanks again xxxxx

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Aww hun i dont know what to suggest. I went through the exact same thing with Missy and i tried everything for her. My vet told me to give her echinacea and garlic capsules and i must admit they did help. I also crushed fresh garlic and soaked it in water and then used that water in her bottle to help pump more into her! When her energy started slowing down i had to give her warm salty water on vets advice to help build her up and switched her to mushed food so she could eat easier. Unfortunately 3 courses of Baytril did nothing for her and i had to result to home remedies and after a few months she lost her fight. I was gutted as she was my snuggly sweet baby and i was totally in love with her. I hope Arthur does ok hun xxxxxx

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks hun xx
From home I'm giving him children vitamins and small animal vitamins, I suppose I could try the garlic water to, what do you mean by soak it? Like, soak it in water before putting it in his water bottle?
Arthur is acting just like normal as if nothing is wrong and it's kinda strange seeing him be himself when he has breathing problems.
Like you said, I've had two lots of baytril, with other added stuff and he's had injections, which havn't helped, so I just have to hope that we can sort him out and beleive in him, which I definatly do.
Thanks for all your support, it means so much to me and Arthur, Luv you's xxxxx

·
1,307 Posts
Nikkita is it possible that he doesnt have a chest infection and he could have what my toto had? fluid in his lungs.. because everything you are explaining is the same my vet suggested to me that just to act normal around him give him alot of fresh food and dont overdo the freerange if you see his breathing to get worse and him slowing down just let him relax.
But honestly hun, i dont think theres much else you can do but go to the vets! but saying that our UK vets are hopeless! and keep giving you the same medication which doesnt work!!
I didnt separate my toto from novo because i felt if novo was going to get sick then the damage was already done.
The vet also said that separateing them would maybe do toto more harm!
I know what your going threw babes ! as carla said try anything that people are suggesting!!!
Lots of love and cuddles!! xoxox

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Claire.
I'm definatly going to get back to the vets, it's just I have to find time to do it in and book an oppointment when they are not actually booked LOL... there is just the one vet so close to us you see.
Arthur is very hyper natarally, he is very smart and playful, but he is also very cuddly when he wants to be.
I'm worried about putting him back with the others, because he is turning into Husky and beating up the others and Arthur is happy without them to. Also, Arthur hasn't had any porophrine around his etes or nose all the time he has had the breathing problems(and before), was this the same with Toto?
Thanks again xxxxx

·
1,307 Posts
Nikkita toto never had nothing round his eyes or nose it was weird the only thing he had wrong was breathing and slowing down a little towards the end.
He started out with just freerange breathing then in the cage little but often then it started coming all the time nothing worked for him! he was to far gone!!!
Well maybe arthur realises hes sick and wants to have his OWNTIME so when hes ready to go back he will let you know!
Good luck darlin xxx

·
Registered
719 Posts
Fluid on the lungs is usually the result of a bacterial infection (not always but usually) what meds has he been on? Typically if a rat has a condition that responds to meds but then pops up again within a few days of completing the meds, that means you were on basically the right track but either didn't use a strong enough antibiotic or didn't use it long enough. It sounds like you had him on meds for a while so my guess would be the first. Do you remember the name of the medication he was on and the dosage?

To keep him comfortable I would give him the occasional very small piece of dark chocolate to open air passages and like clairebee said steam him in the bathroom occasionally. Vitamins are a great idea to boost the immune system. When you start him on antibiotics again I would also use a probiotic so that he doesn't get stomach problems and lose weight.

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks Claire and Luvboyrats!
Yes, I have kept both bottles that I had the meds in for some reason, so I can tell you what it was...
The first time I know that Arthur got the strong baytril by injection so we wouldn't have to syringe it and than we also got a bottle of: 2ml Baytril 5o/o and she added milloph to the solution which made it stronger and helped open his airways/passages.
The second time we got the same, but without the injection or added milloph.
I'll get some dark chocolate today to help and steam him in the bathroom tonight.
Arthur has been on the meds near 3 weeks I think, the first time he seemed okay for longer than the second when it came back.
Thanks again for your help.
xxx

·
Registered
719 Posts
That may be your problem. Adding something to open air passages is great, but you still need a stronger solution of baytril or just a stronger antibiotic. I know this sounds very strong, but I would even recommend pure baytril in a lot of cases. Most URI's in rats are caused by myco and since they are a synergistic bacteria that is always present it can be very hard to drive myco back. I would ask the vet about stronger antibiotics if I were you. Don't be afraid to go to multiple vets and get various opinions.

I had three rats near death because I was getting weak baytril solutions and thinking if that didn't work nothing would. Then I decided to try another vet. The new vet said, "of course it's not working, look how sick they are, and how weak the baytril solution is!" He gave me pure baytril and everyone got better in 3 weeks.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Sorry hun i forgot to check back in here lol. What i did with the garlic in the water was get the right amount of water for the bottle and put it in a jug,then crush the garlic and toss it in the jug and leave it to soak for a few hours then took out the garlic and put the water in the bottle and gave it to them as their main drink so i knew they were all getting it but especially Missy,plus i was giving garlic capsules as added extra incase there wasnt enough in the water and i was feeding them echinacea capsules too and staying away from dairy products as they aggrevate the ri more like when humans have a cold dairy products aggrevate our colds
Loadsa Love xxxxxxx

·
Fluffy Chimphead
1,037 Posts
i know this works for babies when they have respiratory infections so it may help open your rat's air way. When Skyla had Croup and pneumonia i was told to have her breath cool to cold air to open up the air way, if you don't have the cold weather yet stand in front of the fridge with the door open, you don't need to put him right in the fridge just near it so he can get the cold air.

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okays, thanks both of you's :)
I've been doing everything suggested, but it's not helping that much, however, there is an improvment, I can only get Arthur to the vets this weekend, so it's anither 2-3 days wait.
Oh and Luvmetrue; LOL, we definatly do have the cold weather... flood warning to! Thanks for the idea, I know what you mean, it's part of the evaperation prossess, but I never thought of it, so thanks a lot!
Luv ya's
xxxx

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I have noticed tonight that his breathing has calmed down quite a bit and he is totally LOVING the chocolate LOL
XXxxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts