Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little Izzy has an abscess about the size of a pea its healed over so its been there a while ... Thyme tea is often suggested for hamsters will this work for rats?

I can not get pictures as I said its healed over so it wont show But I know its an abscess not a tumor as its not hard its also between her rib cage and her skin which makes it obvious to feel and a prime spot for a play bite or infected scratch.

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Little Izzy has an abscess about the size of a pea its healed over so its been there a while ... Thyme tea is often suggested for hamsters will this work for rats?

I can not get pictures as I said its healed over so it wont show But I know its an abscess not a tumor as its not hard its also between her rib cage and her skin which makes it obvious to feel and a prime spot for a play bite or infected scratch.
Hmmm, how old is Izzy?

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Izzy is 14 months

I already thought mammary tumor but the placement is wrong its on her side not near her teats

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here I took that picture and put the rough size and placement of her abscesses ... I just found another :(

i do plan to get them both spayed. its perfectly round

1,883 Posts
Here I took that picture and put the rough size and placement of her abscesses ... I just found another :(

i do plan to get them both spayed. its perfectly round
Hopefully they are bite/puncture wounds that abscesses, but those are classic spots.

Spay/removal in her case...she's getting her tumours early, poor thing.
If you really aren't sure, it won't hurt to compress them and see how they react.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think my vet will do a removal :(

But I cant wait to get her spayed praying its just abscesses though.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just called and they said it would be about 50 for the tumor removal and they can do that at the same time as the Spays.

Next time I get females I am making sure they get spayed younger ...

In all honesty ... Would it be better to put off getting the cage and just get the spays done?

1,883 Posts
I just called and they said it would be about 50 for the tumor removal and they can do that at the same time as the Spays.

Next time I get females I am making sure they get spayed younger ...

In all honesty ... Would it be better to put off getting the cage and just get the spays done?
Yes. Especially if a 14 month old girl has 2 tumours already, its a huge red flag that she is prone to them and will only get more if not spayed at the same time as the removal.

So glad to hear they will do both :D

how is her health?

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She seems very healthy other than the tumors eats well drinks well interacts with Mia.

I will just have them both spayed at the same time and put off the cage until next month.

maybe in the mean time make the hammy girls nice bins. So that they too have proper housing.

You have seen my cage are you sure it isnt too small for all 4? And will they have to be housed away from the boys while they heal?

They said its 50 per tumor but the one on her throat is near arteries and Absolutely tiny ... Its not a safe removal ... will it keep growing once she is spayed?

And thanks so much for helping me out with this :D

1,883 Posts
She seems very healthy other than the tumors eats well drinks well interacts with Mia.

I will just have them both spayed at the same time and put off the cage until next month.

maybe in the mean time make the hammy girls nice bins. So that they too have proper housing.

You have seen my cage are you sure it isnt too small for all 4? And will they have to be housed away from the boys while they heal?

They said its 50 per tumor but the one on her throat is near arteries and Absolutely tiny ... Its not a safe removal ... will it keep growing once she is spayed?

And thanks so much for helping me out with this :D
from your diagram it looked like it was high on her chest not on her actual throat?

They can't meet the boys until they are healed up a bit. They are completely infertile but they had a big surgery and need time before getting pushed around by the boys :D

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry no its right next to her wind pipe.

Oh ok ... I was going to wait until Yuki was Sterile and introduce the girls ... Should I not neuter Yuki or do all three or what? I can call and cancel his neuter. It would also make it quicker to save for the girls spays if I do.

But the cage is big enough for a temp home?

1,883 Posts
Sorry no its right next to her wind pipe.

Oh ok ... I was going to wait until Yuki was Sterile and introduce the girls ... Should I not neuter Yuki or do all three or what? I can call and cancel his neuter. It would also make it quicker to save for the girls spays if I do.

But the cage is big enough for a temp home?
Poor lovey...I wish I could see it. Can you get your fingers around the tumour or is it firmly attached?

Yuki doesn't need to be neutered, do the girls, forget the cage til next month.

Give me the dimensions of your cage and I'll tell you if it should be fine for 4 :)

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The rat cage calculator said its fine for 5 but I like huge cages its only 30X18X36 with two full levels and 3 shelves that add up to another full level. Here the cage is divided boys from girls

I cant tell she doesnt like it messed with I have felt all around it at some point its dome shaped.

I just emailed the vet to cancel Yuki's neuter and set the girls up for two weeks from thursday its the soonest I can. As soon as I pay that off I will order the new cage.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I had said that but you said its more likely a tumor.... I cant tell personally I am sure the vet will check it out before surgery.

And thanks :) I do want to upgrade them still but if its fine for now the surgeries are more important. The skin does not look inflamed or anything ....

How can I tell if its an abscess or a tumor?

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I felt the "lump" and its NOT attached to her ribs but I think it may be to her skin.

Either way I will have the vet look at and spay her. And of course little Mia.

1,883 Posts
Ok I felt the "lump" and its NOT attached to her ribs but I think it may be to her skin.

Either way I will have the vet look at and spay her. And of course little Mia.
The whole concept of a mammary tumour is its just under the skin and there's an attachment to the body. This is why they are relatively easy to remove.

When you put your "spot" on the mammary tissue diagram, it looked like high chest, and with her already having one on her side, it made sense to think tumour, but if its on her neck...that's different.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So should i still have the one on her side removed or leave it be? Either way their spays are scheduled for next week hopefully

So I called today to see about the removal and schedule the spays and the assistant now doesnt know if they do spays GRR they are asking and calling me back. If they dont Its back to Yuki's neuter and getting the abscess removed but I am really hoping they do. They had told me before it was 85 for a rat spay. So we will see and they said since its larger and firm she would just remove it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.