Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Jack and Annie are getting bigger. And the cage we got when we got them was starting to get smaller it seemed so we were looking on a local website to find a bigger cage. And boy did we find one. When we found it we knew we were going to get it so we told Jack and Annie they were getting a surprise. We started to get really happy and excited and they were starting to get our vibe and were acting really happy and excited too. So we went and got it and when we brought it in I think they knew their surprise was here. So we put it together and added everything to it. And then put them in it. They were so happy. They love their new cage and so do we. Length:31in. Width:14in. Height:31in. And we only paid $35 for it.

Some pictures of Jack & Annie really excited for their surprise.

The New Cage. (Taken while they were out playing in the house.)

Also, The hammock I made for them just a few days sooner than we got the cage.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the new cage!

I especially like the polka dots on their new hammock!

They look like they are going to have fun in there!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
What a great suprise!!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Oh the cage looks great!! :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They love their cage. The are constantly running around in it. Makes me feel good that they can play and have lots of room to play at that.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
yay! now u can make a whole bunch of other hammocks :D hehe and put ropes! I looove being able to put new things in louna's cage.
ahhh lucky boys :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to but, hubby gets mad if i do. He dosn't want it "cluttered" :argue:

·
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted
1,162 Posts
wow super cool cage! they look like they are really enjoying them selves.
Diamond

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Awesome cage.....can i just say though you might want to cover the shelves with something like lino or something along those lines coz walking on those bars constantly will hurt their little feet and can cause bumble foot :eek:( xx

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome cage.....can i just say though you might want to cover the shelves with something like lino or something along those lines coz walking on those bars constantly will hurt their little feet and can cause bumble foot :eek:( xx
Someone told me about that. But, didn't think muchy of it. I will get some more polkadot fabric this weekend when I get paid and put some down.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
they now realize bumblefoot is not caused by walking on wire, but on filthy conditions, obesity, genetic predisposition and age (the spring of the hock joint lessens until the whole hind foot presses against the ground).

I have 3 of those older ALT's (the new ones suck with no full top floor and smaller level/shelves) and my rats love them. Weirdly enough, the oldies do very well in these cages as well.

I don't like how narrow they are, but if you have smaller rats it doesn't matter as much.

Your rats will love it :D

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Wire floors doesn't cause bumblefoot.Dirty cages and bacteria does.
I never cover my floors and don't have problems.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Nice cage, and great deal!!!! I bet they love it! You'll have to get some pictures of them playing in it when you get a chance!

·
Registered
302 Posts
just wondering... are you keeping an unaltered male with an unaltered female? If you don't want litters of up to 20 every 28 days, you might want to get two of those cages and a new pair, so you'll have two females together and two males together, and no litters. You'd be surprised how young they will successfully breed, if they haven't already.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ahhh, just saw in another thread that you have two boys... it was the name Annie that threw me off. ;)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Hahaha...if I remember correctly,Annie is short for "Anniversary"?? Or she named him cause she got him on her anniversary? Something like that.It threw me off at first too,till she explained!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hahaha...if I remember correctly,Annie is short for "Anniversary"?? Or she named him cause she got him on her anniversary? Something like that.It threw me off at first too,till she explained!
Yes, We got them the day before our Wedding Anniversary so.. thats where Annies name comes from.

It still throws me and my husband off and we seem to call Annie her. Lol. I don't think he minds though. :giggle:

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Bbradley- where did you get that cage? I am trying to get one on craigslist and that is the only place that I have seen them...but I really like the design and layout and it looks very spacious. I was wondering the same thing about the wire flooring, but I think it is good that the bottom isn't wire flooring too. One thing..do you know if male rats could get their feet stuck in the wire floors? Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bbradley- where did you get that cage? I am trying to get one on craigslist and that is the only place that I have seen them...but I really like the design and layout and it looks very spacious. I was wondering the same thing about the wire flooring, but I think it is good that the bottom isn't wire flooring too. One thing..do you know if male rats could get their feet stuck in the wire floors? Thanks so much!!
I found it on a local webpage. Its called lejeuneyardsales.com on there they sell lots of different kinds of things. Google your town name and then yardsales.com you might find one near you.

No. their feet don't get stuck. I guess they kind of spread out their toes and they don't get stuck. I didn't even think of that when I got our cage. Its deff a good question though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts