Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bearded dragon shed her first skin with me about a month ago, and went from a sweet lizard to a little monster.....shes aggressive since she shed. She attacks me when my hands in the tank to clean it to the point she bit me and made me bleed:( if i hold her she attacks and bites and wont let go till i get the spray bottle that has water in it. I wear gloves but it still hurts like crazy. I go anywhere near the tank, and she sees me she runs to the place im at puffs up and opens her mouth and hiss's. Iv never hurt jojo nothing in her routine has changed i still hold her, as much as i did before and as long ,her feeding schedule hasnt changed and neither has the tempature in her room. Any lizard lovers have advice ? I love jojo but my hands dont love her so much with little teeth bites all over. :(

·
Registered
641 Posts
How old is she? Bearded Dragons commonly go through what I like to call "Beardie Puberty" at around 8 months old. Which can cause a perfectly happy go lucky beardie turn into a monster. Try offering her a treat. One of the best handling tricks is called the "Shirt Trick". This involves waiting until your Beardie is really sleepy, then wrapping her up in a shirt that smells like you to rest. This will get her used to your scent. After a while, you can pick her up in the shirt and let her fall asleep on you. This is a great trust builder.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is she? Bearded Dragons commonly go through what I like to call "Beardie Puberty" at around 8 months old. Which can cause a perfectly happy go lucky beardie turn into a monster. Try offering her a treat. One of the best handling tricks is called the "Shirt Trick". This involves waiting until your Beardie is really sleepy, then wrapping her up in a shirt that smells like you to rest. This will get her used to your scent. After a while, you can pick her up in the shirt and let her fall asleep on you. This is a great trust builder.
shes only about 4 or 5 months, jess did suggest the shirt trick , but jojo just seems to be getting worst, i cant even get my hand in the tank to change it without being attacked .Iv also had to get small stiches because of the amount of times shes bitten in the same place at once. Im not giving up on her and i keep trying .but thank you for the suggestion.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I just though of something else... Get her some Phoenix worms or wax worms (Pretty much any small wormie treat that she loves... Phoenix worms would be best though, since they are healthy and I have a feeling you will be using them a lot LOL) and be ready with them next time you want to hold her. When she opens her mouth to try to attack you, pop a worm in there instead. It will sistract her from her aggression, and help associate you with something positive. The person I heard this trick from said it worked for their aggressive beardie. :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just though of something else... Get her some Phoenix worms or wax worms (Pretty much any small wormie treat that she loves... Phoenix worms would be best though, since they are healthy and I have a feeling you will be using them a lot LOL) and be ready with them next time you want to hold her. When she opens her mouth to try to attack you, pop a worm in there instead. It will sistract her from her aggression, and help associate you with something positive. The person I heard this trick from said it worked for their aggressive beardie. :)
thats actually a really good idea thanks ill try that.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
K, let me know how it goes! :D
I REALLY hope she calms down for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts