Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Just a skinny dog?

Tags
skinny
3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Cat Condos 
#1 ·
So I think I found out Loki's other half. I googled min pin x chihuahua and found a dog that looks exactly like him (or pretty close anyway.)

When we got him, he was just a skinny little thing. He was returned to the shelter and was there for a week or so. We could easily feel his ribs, hips, and spine.

We took him home and started him on raw/better kibbs than Science Diet and he gained some weight very quickly (as well as getting a better coat, and muscle) which is why we dropped his nickname Skinny Dog. Well he is still a skinny dog...lol. I can't feel his ribs (well I can...just not the indents like on underweight dogs) or his hips but can slightly feel his spine. His stomach is tucked in like an IG which is why I originally thought he could be an italian greyhound mix. Just he otherwise didn't look like one.

Is it possible that some dogs are just...skinny? He doesn't inhale his food and is in great health...hes just skinny.

#4 ·
That's just probably how he is. For one, I think some shelters can under feed their dogs. I adopted a husky from there years ago and when I brought him home, he only weighed 37 pounds.

Some dogs are just pigs, but I think if he doesn't inhale his food, you can probably keep kibble for him 24/7 and he'll just eat when he's hungry. I do that with Killer, he's not overweight or underweight and he just eats when he wants to.

#5 ·
My shelter feeds twice a day. Most of the dogs there are pretty fit. The small dogs only walk around the building while the larger dogs are walked twice a day around the 6 acre property. It looks like he lost more weight at my in-law's house. We were there watching their dogs and he is absolutely in love with their rat terrier. They play non stop.

#8 ·
What does his vet say about his weight?

It's hard to judge without looking at a dog...but from your description he sounds like he might be a normal weight to me.

You're actually suppose to be able to feel a dogs ribs and their abdomen/waist is suppose to tuck in on a dog that's a healthy weight.

I think so many people are used to seeing overweight dogs, that when they see one that's at an ideal weight they think it looks too skinny because they maybe aren't use to seeing dogs that aren't at least a little bit overweight. Obesity and being overweight is actually a huge problem in pets in this country. Being overweight can be just as bad as being underweight as there are a lot of health problems associated with overweight dogs.

Do a google search for "dog weight chart" and you'll find a lot of websites with charts that show good ways to tell if your dog is over, under, or an ideal weight.

But yeah - I can feel my dogs ribs and his tummy tucks up too. When I rub his belly I always tell him how skinny he is, but in reality he's at a very normal/healthy weight.

#12 ·
I look at those charts and yeah he almost fits the skinny description. Never had any vets say anything about his weight. I think they were more concerned about getting owned by a chihuahua.

I'm not sure about switching vets yet but whoever I decide to be my permanent, I will ask them. Still deciding if I want the hospital, the vet I love thats miles from me, or the holistic mobile vet that comes down the street.

#13 ·
Holisitc blend foods are better for dogs anyway (I really noticed a nice change in Coco since changing) Maybe supplement his diet with an egg once a week? Or ask a nutritionist, most vets are WAY out of date on proper diets for dogs because they're getting money for diagnosing illnesses. And they need to update their knowledge base on medicinal things... My vet prescribed Coco a special "vet" food which made him sick! o_O

#17 ·
Hah yeah I read through my old manager's vet book and guess who wrote it? Hills and Iams haha. Her other book was written by Purina.

Spyro's vet carries Science Diet in his clinic but doesn't seem to mind anything. Its pretty spiffy. He has never pushed anything on me.

#14 ·
I think there is really some animals that are naturally skinny but completely healthy, as well as there are dogs that can easily get fat, just like humans in different body sizes..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.