Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Echo and Whisper and I are friends now :) Echo lets me hold her and everything, and Whisper will let me pet her.
ANYWAY I have been using kale daily as a treat, but im not sure if its to sugary? if it is, i can switch to romaine lettuce, They love both.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kale is good for degus – has a very good Calcium to P:p:phosphorus balance. Buy organic to ensure that no pesticides were used on it.
Try giving bits of a variety of greens at the same time as well – like dandelion, spinach, the green tops of carrots, a bit of parsley, a basil leaf, a piece of thyme, a sprig of dill, etc.

Don't bother with romaine. It isn't that good for them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

Thanks!
I have cut off the romaine from their diet (only used as an occasional treat.)
Although they still prefer kale over anything else they also like the green carrot bits.
Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I need to correct what I just said. Kale is okay but it does not have the optimum Calcium to Phosphorus ratio. Chard is better (I get the two mixed up). Check out the Degu International web site - they have a huge list of what is good for degus. Also check the Deguworld forum because there they also advise on what are good treats and food for your degu.

Sorry about my mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts