Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

It's warming up a bit here in California, and we live close to the coast, so many homes don't have AC. Anyone have suggestions for how to keep pets cool in this heat?

I've been freezing cups and putting them in our bunnies cage to keep her cool, and have a small desk fan for our cat that seems to like it. Anyone else use any household items to keep a pet cool?

Cheers,
TaggRep

**Opinions here are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
marble can help cool your bunnies off they can lay on marble planks. :) and as for your cat you could put ice cubes in her water.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
you can use any cheap kitchen tile as well, you can even put it in the fridge or freezer and swap them out.

your cat may actually like that as well.

Really if it isn't really too hot for you than it should be ok for your cat and for your rabbit. just keep as much heat out of your place by having heat blocking curtons and things. open the windows at night and blow a fan in and close it during the day and block the light if it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Nibbler and Kendalle! I bought a marble block for our bunny and she is glued to it! I also added ice in the water for our cat (I'm scared it might be too cold for the bunny and her little teeth).

Thanks you again for the tips!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Over here in the UK, we don't have much summer. So when we do get some, my dog stays in the shade or in front of the fan.

·
Friend to All Animals
128 Posts
you can freeze bottles of water and give those to your animals and they'll probably huddle against it... provide plenty of fresh water and you could even consider buying one of those cooling jackets or beds... you can put cold water and/or ice in them and your pets can lay on those to stay cool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Summer has been going very well, except for the heat. My dog is a Boxer, and as with short nosed breeds we get very nervous having him out in extreme heat. He is a trooper though! As long as I put out water for him he seems to be fine. I also started giving him ice cubes to chew on to keep him cool. I even found frozen yogurt and ice cream treats that I give him sometimes while we are outside. Freshpet has an Apple & Peanut Butter FroYo that he goes crazy for! As long as I keep my pup cool with treats, shade and water, he seems fine. I can’t wait until Fall to be able to get him some exercise again.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
pediapops! My biggest issue with my pets (from rats to dogs) is that its so hot that they just wanna be lazy...sometimes too lazy to go get water. I fill ice cubes with electrolyte water (usually pedialyte or flavored propel) and freeze em. Dogs LOVE it. This was a must for my rats as it provided a nice treat to help them cool down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our roommates dog is a Mastiff and he's been a little sluggish in this weather, but when we pop out the ice cubes, he goes crazy over them. He's also spending a lot more time in the kitchen because of the tiled floor and we've moved his bed down there, although we miss hearing his snores upstairs. Thanks again for all of the tips!

·
Registered
10 Posts
any shaded area would do. I have a medium sized garden at back with a small trees. So its perfect for them my beloved families.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We usually put ice cubes in our dog's water dishes and make sure that they will be out for no longer than 5-7 minutes on very hot days. I live in Ohio so our weather can be 60's one day and high 90's the next.
I know for your bunny you could also use a fan. I keep one on my rats when the AC isn't on. I also make sure to give them a cold water bottle wrapped in a towel.
I have a collie and two shelties and they are OK as long as they have a fan to lay down in front of. They really enjoy the hardwood and tile floors. If you have any hardwood floor bedrooms, maybe keep the shades closed so the room stays cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So you've decided to save money and the environment by dialing down your thermostat this winter - great choice! As you grab your sweater, don't forget that pets like to keep warm, too. Even though they have "fur coats," dogs and cats are susceptible to cold, especially puppies, older animals, and small or short haired breeds. There are several ways to keep pets warm as you adjust to a cooler home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts