Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Jeff is still going strong, though very territorial. When I let the rats out to play on the couch or on a spare bed covered by an old blanket, I have to keep an eye on them. A couple of times, Jeff has jumped up to the couch. He's now the largest mouse I've ever seen (Yes. he IS a mouse.) at about five to six inches long and three high. A call of "Jeff" and he jumps back down. The reason I'm writing again, besides keeping you updated, is that I might take in a displaced rabbit. My sister called last night. She said the neighbors were tired of their house rabbit, shoved it out the door and won't let it back inside. She said that, at the time of her call, she could see the poor bunny standing at the edge of the road in the rain, and wanted to know if I'd take it in. She has three of them now and can't fit another in her cage, and I've often said I like rabbits as house pets (I've had a half-dozen at different times.) I'm in a quandary. I'd hate to see that bunny killed, yet don't know how Jeff Mouse would treat it. The Internet has little on the subject, and nothing about a half-wild mouse and a pet house-rabbit. According to what I've found, rats and rabbits rarely get along, but Jeff is a mouse, not a rat. Also, both can be very territorial. I have no idea as to the sex or "fixed" state of the bunny. I wonder if any members have had such an experience. Please, I know about rabbits stomping rats and rats biting rabbits. I mean actual experience. Oh, and I DO give Jeff medicine, about once a week in his favorite food. That's the only time he gets a bit of chocolate. So he shouldn't have mites or fleas. I also spray his living area occasionally. I don't know about mice, but did you know that horse anti-worm medicine is good for rats. My rat breeder, a member of rat breeding organizations, told me that if my rats start scratching mites or fleas to put a small amount (size of a grain of rice) on the tip of a toothpick and make them eat it. The medicine, not the toothpick. I've been doing it for a year or so and it works. The next day, they're not scratching. That's what I've been putting on Jeff's chocolate. Charlie -- Oscar Rat's human.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts