Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of posts and information on area sites about chinchillas. The information states that they can have a life span of 18+yrs. In reading posts from chin owners, I have not read anywhere when anyone has a chin older than 5 yrs! Is it common for them to only live a few years in captivity?
I am already becoming concerned for the life of my 5 month old chin!

Could members please send me posts of how old their chins are so you can relieve my concern?
Thanks!

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,070 Posts
It is VERY common for them to live 15-20 years in captivity. I don't know anyone personally but I have heard mention of quite a few owners whose chinchillas are 14+ years.

Don't worry!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a 4 1/2 year old right now who is showing no sign of slowing down (even though she is missing a back leg). Also, at 3 1/2, she had her first and only baby.

When I was in Baton Rouge, LA, the oldest chinchilla that my vet had seen was 16 years old. Later, I hired a pet sitter who had a chinchilla who was also 16 (not the same chin- the first chin passed away in 2000). While her coat wasn't the best, the chinchilla still had lots of energy. She loved her wheel and was pretty cranky. Both the 16 years old were female, but Chapman had a male live to be 22+, so its probably not a gender thing.

Good luck.

Patti

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone on another forum has a chinchilla that is 24 or 27 , I'm not sure on the exact age. I have read where some people have them that are 15+. I personally lost one chinchilla at the age of 1.5 years, however it was because of a freak accident. They do have a pretty long life span :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lifespan of Chinchilla

My chinchilla, Puffy, is almost nine years old! When I bought him as a tiny 'puffball', as his name implies, I had done my own research on their lifespan. The majority of the information I found said they lived an average of 9 to 13 yrs. And, having read quite a bit, I NEVER heard or read of a lifespan of 19+ yrs. But that doesn't mean it isn't so. And, I hope you are right! I would love to know for sure myself so if anybody out there knows for sure....

·
Registered
405 Posts
My chinny is turning 8 in jan! :)
I think maybe you read that they die so young because people usually post when an animal dies to get comfort or to figure out how it died? I haven't read many posts about people talking about their old chinchillas :)
who knows.
Your little chinny should live a long happy life if taken care of properly!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was lurking around on Yahoo! Answers the other day, and this one person had said that their sister's two chinnies are both 22 years old and as healthy as ever.

Edit; I didn't realize this was really old. xDD

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,561 Posts
Sorry about the late respons.
I have a 11 year old male, and he is doing fine.

It is said though, that because of inbreeding, the avrage ange is down to 8-10 years.
By the looks at it, I would guess this is pretty close to the truth.
Some chinnies, die very young, and some die very old, but a great deal die right around 10 years.
A couple of years back, the avrage was 10-15 years.
This dosen't mean your chinchilla is going to die young though... :)
You still need quite a big portion of 10+ years chinchillas to get the avrage about 10 years :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought our Chino when he was 2, that was about 8 years ago and he's never had a health problem. He's very active and seems healthy until recently. Watch your cats around your Chinny. The neighbours cat recently got into my house and pawded at our Chino and took his poor little eye out, we're devasted. We're praying for a healthy recovery but in the meantime, he is approx 10 (since we don't know his birth date) so your little guy should live a long, healthy and happy life...no worries! Nan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Chinchilla Willy was 20 years old, yesterday, Christmas day. We know when he was born as we got him from a breeder. His twin brother, Dusty, died at 7 years of age.

Willy was out for a run just last night and is almost as active as he ever was. He just doesn't do bankshots off doors anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a female that is about a year and a half old. I'm not sure when she was born, but I got her on Valentine's Day last year for my girlfriend. Should I just go by Valentine's Day as her birthday? I can't really afford taking her to a vet just to get her exact age..

·
Registered
3 Posts
My chinchilla, Oolong, was a juvenile when I got him in August, 1999. He was approximately 8 weeks old at the time because the pet store had just received him and his sisters from the breeder. I forget the breeder's name.

I remember the employees didn't know how to sex them, but I had done my research online and had them catch each chinchilla so I could look at its private parts. Sexing is hard when they're too young, but I got lucky and managed to select the one male from a group of females. I only wanted a male b/c I had learned that males do better when kept as an only pet.

Anyway, Oolong has not interacted with any chinchillas since then and is almost 11 years old. He is doing great and enjoys getting raisin or craisin treats from my 22-month-old son.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A Chinchilla live span is directly related to the quality of care the get.

It is very common for a Rancher to have chins 15+.

Many pet chins may not live that long because they are over "treated", thier likely hood of accidents is also higher, and chins purchased from a reputable breeder, instead of a pet store, are more likely to be free of health problems.

A racher's chin is feed only pellets, water, hay, and some supplement with an oat mixture, they don't get excessive treats, or free roam of a house, where they can ingest something toxic, or become injured.

The better care you take of your chinnie the longer it will live. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 4 1/2 year old right now who is showing no sign of slowing down (even though she is missing a back leg). Also, at 3 1/2, she had her first and only baby.

When I was in Baton Rouge, LA, the oldest chinchilla that my vet had seen was 16 years old. Later, I hired a pet sitter who had a chinchilla who was also 16 (not the same chin- the first chin passed away in 2000). While her coat wasn't the best, the chinchilla still had lots of energy. She loved her wheel and was pretty cranky. Both the 16 years old were female, but Chapman had a male live to be 22+, so its probably not a gender thing.

Good luck.
how old the chinchilla is
Patti
Jun 7, 2012 #1 I got him April of last year. He is a standard gray from Petco and I was told that chinchillas sell pretty fast. He hasn't grown since I got him. Hes agile, spunky, doesn't fur bite, and hasn't had any complications since I've had him. I know this is all pretty vague and lame sounding but I would just like to know his age based on how old chinchillas are when they are sent to a chain pet store. Thanks :))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts