Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Lilac wood

Tags
lilac toys wood
4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rayvnfeather 
#1 ·
Is lilac wood safe for chins? I have looked online and check through 5 pages of this forum and it says nothing about lilac. It is not on the DO NOT GIVE lists or or the SAFE lists. We had to cut down some lilac trees recently and was wondering if I could give it to the chinicllia. We also cut some magnolia trees but I know those are safe.

o and does any one have any suggestions on how to give it too him i.e. make them all into chews, hang them, make a "ramp" from shelf to shelf, etc

#2 ·
I assume you've looked at chinchillas2home.co.uk/safewoods.htm, where of course lilac isn't listed. I tried looking to see if anything even RELATED to lilac was listed (they are related to olive trees) and of course had no luck there. There is a guide towards the bottom of the page on how to judge based on sap leakage (if it's practically oozing out from under the bark near a cut, that's a bad sign) whether or not a certain wood is safe. Safest bet, is to not give it to your chin unless you're sure.

And if you decide to use it, all of the above!

#4 ·
there was barely any sap when it was cut but i asked the vet and the vet said it should be ok. to start with a twig and see if there are any changes. But we have to wait to do that until he is better (he has been fur biting a bit because of the temperature change.. we fixed the problem but are waiting for the fur to come back in before trying any "experiments") I will be sure to post when I know the outcome and Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.