Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I got home from work about an hour ago and when I opened my bedroom door I heard birds chirping. Now, this was strange because my window was shut. Well, they weren't birds!

^^ Nest box moved onto my bed, for better viewing purposes. I didn't want to handle them QUITE yet, but I'm pretty sure I counted twelve and they're all alive.

^^ Lilly back in her nest box once I replaced it in the cage.

Anybody living near Vancouver want some rat babies? =P

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
awwww SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lilly is cute... the babies are kind of ugly looking haha. They'll be cute in a week or two. There are definitely twelve though, I just checked for sure.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Congrats to Lilly!! She looks like a glowing, beautiful Mother too!
I think the babies are just adorable. I love em even when they are pink with no fur yet. Just seeing those teeny little paws and fingers and their wee little tail stubs...sigh...so precious and innocent. Congratulations again to Lilly, I bet she is tired!!
I hope all the babies do well and get nice and fat and full of milk.
Great news!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Good to see that everyone is doing well!! :D Yay Lilly!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
So cute!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Aww,congRATS. What will you do with them all?

Lilly is cute... the babies are kind of ugly looking haha. They'll be cute in a week or two. There are definitely twelve though, I just checked for sure.
Aww,I love pinkies. I think they are adorable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww,congRATS. What will you do with them all?
Let them grow nice and big and strong, and then fin homes for them all LOL. I will probably end up keeping a girl from this litter and a girl from Minnie's litter and put them in the Rat Mansion when they are big enough. But the rest we are re-homing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 03

Alright, so I missed picture taking yesterday as Emma ended up having an impromptu sleepover and my night was busy busy busy. But here are day three pictures of Lilly's Dirty Dozen. :rolleyes: Today I was actually brave enough to hold them - they look so fragile but they're really not! I was impressed by how much they are starting to crawl around and everything already.

^^ This little guy was trying to escape, she just refused to stay put for picture time so I got an individual shot of her. I HOPE HOPE she's a girl as I have a feeling she is going to be the cutie I fall in love with - so much personality already and so young. :D

^^ See the little baby running away in the bottom right? Well, like I said, she refused to stay still for picture time!!

^^ Now we are getting into artsy pictures.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh my goodness they are SO adorable!!! Lilly is so lucky that you adopted her rather than being bought as a feeder. You are going to be an amazing ratty mommy to those twelve babies.

If I lived anywhere near where you do, I would totally take one, as the cage I have my girls in is definitely big enough for at least one more rat. But I live in Colorado, so... :( Good luck finding homes!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too bad there isn't an Underground Rat Railroad down the Rockies, since we share a mountain range! Thanks for the "amazing Mommy" bit, I appreciate it. I hope I do alright!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
They are cute. Enjoy them,they grow fast!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
LOVE the pictures! Your babies are so sweet and adorable! The one that keeps trying to crawl away is most definitely showing her personality. Super! And I agree, you are doing such a great job at being a Rat Mommy. The blanket was so cute too, for the photo session. Thanks for posting those!

·
Registered
92 Posts
They look so neat! I've never been able to hold a pinkie. Their wrinkly little selves are adorable. Thoroughly enjoying the pictures and watching them grow. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I love the photos!! :D They are all adorable! Keep 'em coming! :D

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
So cute! My first thought with the opening picture was 'Woah! Check out the cool prizes you can find in Cheerios these days!"

Do handle the babies as much as possible even in the beginning. The more you do, the more social and friendly they'll be. If mom's tolerant you can do it while she's present. If not, then lure her away with some yummies or free range time away from the cage. Keep the sessions shorter in the beginning. Pinkies can't regulate their temp and get cold quickly and of course get hungry. I can't remember how long is recommended, but for some reason 20 minutes sticks in my head. Someone else probably knows.

They are cute as they can be, the little gummy bears.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Story, 20 minutes two or three times a day is about what I am sticking to. Basically, as much time as it takes to handle each one individually for a few seconds, petting/talking etc. Then they all go back in the nest. Lilly is totally chill when I handle them around her, but I let her go play in the Rat Mansion with the other girls anyways so she gets some exercise and some snuggles from her "sisters".

These were pictures from Day 4 (yesterday)...

Just a question, are naked babies only born to naked parents? Because I'm really hoping I'm going to have a naked girl in this litter, Liam and I want a nakie sooo bad but there's no way we're going out to BUY a rat when we have like, a million in our house.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
They look so great and healthy, and absolutely adorable!! Yes, 20 minutes is a good amount of time at this point for them to be out. You can gradually increase it as they get older, and especially once their eyes are open and they grow fluff! :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts