Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 4 month old flemish giant. He's not neutered so i know that is part of the problem. He sleeps in his litter box and pees in his bed and poops in another corner. Im new to this so I'm not sure if I'm doing things the way I should. I have carefresh and hay in the litter box and his food dispenser hangs over the litter box bc I know they do there business when they eat..please help. What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
try putting his littre box in the corner that he poops in, and when u see poop put it in the littre box, neuturing him will definetly help this problem as well.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Add more litterboxes for now, especially in corners. He probably won't be totally littertrained until he's neutered but it should help. Make sure you don't have Carefresh anywhere else, just in the litterbox. The litter should be unique to the rest of the enclosure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thank you! I'm going to try that. So do you think the carefresh is good or should I be using something else? I read wood pellets are good? Maybe I need something less comfy so stops sleeping in there?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Carefresh is OK, but personally I prefer wood pellets. :) They control the odor the best!

No matter what litter you use, most buns will sleep in their litterbox. Since it smells like themselves, a lot of them find it comforting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh i see. I think ill try the wood chips next. The carefresh doesn't seem the mask the urine smell too much. I already have a date set to get him neutered so hopefully my litter problems will be fine after that :) what about peeing in his bed?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Oh i see. I think ill try the wood chips next. The carefresh doesn't seem the mask the urine smell too much. I already have a date set to get him neutered so hopefully my litter problems will be fine after that :) what about peeing in his bed?
Jess said wood pellets, not wood chips ;). There are some brands that make it as litter, like Feline Pine, but a lot of bunny people just buy wood stove pellets. They're extremely cheap and make decent litter. I've been kind of broke lately so I've been doing a 50/50 mix of wood stove pellets and Fresh News (a paper pellet) :).

Is the bed soft? I would just take it out. You could clean it with an enzyme cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) and try offering it again after he's neutered (a few months later when the hormones are gone). But some bunnies just always pee on soft things like that (since it's comfy) and there's no way around it. If he's sleeping in his litterbox, as most buns do, there's no need for a separate bed anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
To stop Hammurabi sleeping in his litterbox I just bought him the exact same litter box, shoved it in a corner, and put his towels in it. He never sleeps in his litter anymore! I don't know if that will help, especially since he's unneutered but you could try it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of Feline Pine.. It's all we use around here and it works wonders. And if you find poop anywhere beside the litter box make sure you put it IN the litter box.

-SD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts