Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Just found this bunny forum. And so happy to be here. Im the owner of 4 bunnies. Our newest is a 5 month old female flemish giant that is already HUGE!

Our issue- we need a litterbox for her that has higher sides. When she pees, she is going up and over the back and all over the wall. I'd like to say its somewhat like spraying. BUT we have another large female rabbit that had the same issue. (but she is a little small so we finally found one with high enough sides for her.) Think its just how all their anatomy is compared to a male.

Every litterbox out there just doesnt seem to be big enough. Right now we have a few layers of heavy cardboard under the back part of the cage that goes up and protects the wall. (it was getting NASTY. We are thinking maybe if we looked around at home depot etc we will find some container that may be big enough and high enough for her. A covered litter box would be perfect- but dont think she would fit! LOL

Any suggestions???

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT! :D

Are you using bunny little boxes, or cat litter boxes? If you aren't already using them, cat litter boxes work great for bunnies and you can get some with fairly high sides. I used a high-sided litter box like this that worked really well (until Smudge figured out he could eat it...) :

Smudge is only a 4 lb Dutch, so he isn't nearly as big as a flemmie, but maybe a larger version of this would work?

The only other things I can think of would be cutting an entrance in a large storage bin, or taking the top half off of a plastic dog kennel and using the bottom half as the litter box.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
None of my bunnies are huge, but I use big plastic storage bins as litter boxes. You just cut an entrance hole on one end, and I made my own litter box grate for mine with NIC panels covered over with hardware cloth.

The storage bins come with covers. I cover one of mine and use it as a covered litter box because my bunnies LOVE to sleep on top of the lid.

I used this...
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=LP120
box before and liked it. The sides are higher than any rabbit or cat box I've seen in stores (not counting covered cat boxes) but they are a little bit expensive. It was cheaper for me to use modified storage bins, especially since I like to throw out and replace my litter boxes every so often.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Hi and welcome!! I just read about your bunnies in the Bunny/breed thread. The flem is not spayed, correct? Sometimes, unspayed bunnies will in fact spray their pee to mark everything as theirs. Plus, as a larger bunny she would make more pee. It's possible that she can smell the other bunnies (especially the unneutered male) and is perhaps marking to attract him? LOL I don;t know but it might be something that can be stopped if she's spayed :D

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ty for your replies..... Thinking the storage container or that rubbermaid litterbox are the ways to go. Dont mind the price as long as they work! The Rubbermaid one may also be good for our White New Zealand too. As he suddenly loves to dig and dig and dig then tip his litterbox over! Crazy bunny.

I really want to get our flemish fixed. Just trying to find a cheap place. Would love the same for our holland lop too so we can enjoy eachother more instead of having him going at it on my arm or leg all the time! LOL

Right now our flemish is in a divided extra dog cage at night/when we arent around. Our fixed new zealand male is in the other side. My female spayed bunny is across from them (all in wide hallway between bedrooms) in a large dog cage. And then the un neutered male holland is kinda off to the side but facing the flemish so it could be like u said. yet it doesnt seem that the male or female have really noticed eachother. They are more interested in --humping--- the heck out of the other bunnies...as they rememer the others since they are all out together. (taking turns with the un neutered ones.) Hope that makes sense. This weekend though we're rearranging everyone since flemish is too big for divided cage. We are moving her to my other females cage and moving that one to flemish's divided one. As, my other bunny doesnt need a big cage. She spends all her time in her litterbox just hanging out. LOL Hoping the females dont mind the scents in the others cages though.....

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
All I can say, is be sure to protect your walls with cardboard if you are switching them around and stuff... Cleaning up after massive "spray fights" is no fun, trust me!

· Registered
56 Posts
hi, just randomly stopping by...I don't have and never had a bunny but I was wondering if a cat's covered littler box would work for you? They have so many covered ones out there to prevent similar issues with cats and to keep cats from kicking litter out... (I've had cats all my life until recently and we had a "kicker")

· Registered
75 Posts
I was out a local pet store today and saw this litter box about the size of a cat litter box, made for rabbits. It had a lid with a hole cut out of it big enough for the rabbit to go through. It said its to help prevent spraying. I know that Petco and Petsmart dont carry it. Its kind of like a covered cat litter box. I'll try to find out more about it

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
You have to be super careful with those picking an absorbant litter to fill it. The stench of ammonia will for sure cause them to urinate outside of the box. I saw cats stop using a covered box bc of the smell. If you're going to go that route, get a covered cat box WITH a carbon filter to remove odors. I doubt rabbit boxes will have the filter. (Make sure the piece cannot be chewed off) As for spraying, just as a precaution I just border my litter box with cardboard. It will catch anything that she wants to flick as well as give her an extra chew toy :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.