Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to litter train their Degu? I have seen a cage on ebay that has carpeted ramps and a tile floor, it says that it is meant for litter trained animals. I didn't know if this was actually possible. I know you can litter train cats, rabbits, hamster, etc. What about Degus? :idea:

·
Registered
72 Posts
My degus pee in one corner of their cage already, so I suppose it's possible to put a tray there and call them "litter trained".

They still leave their poo everywhere, but it's pretty innocuous. I know some people have had luck training their goos, but since they like to dig so much, I like having a cage with room for litter. If there wasn't room for litter, I'd provide a pan for them to burrow in and kick around :)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I can't ever see a degu being fully litter trained they like to do it wherever and whenever :lol: My boys do tend to have favourite spots usually out of the cage and onto the floor ;)

My goo's all have carpet though and they don't tend to wee on it :D

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Degus tend to use their dustbath as a litterbox if you leave it in 24-7. So I know some people keep a couple dustbaths in the cage and change the sand every day.

My girls always go in the same corner but I didn't bother with an actual litterbox.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Degus tend to use their dustbath as a litterbox if you leave it in 24-7. So I know some people keep a couple dustbaths in the cage and change the sand every day.

My girls always go in the same corner but I didn't bother with an actual litterbox.
The sandhouses are the cleanest part of my degus cages, they seem to like to keep them clean due to 24/7 usage :lol: The only thing i tend to find in there is bits of food they have hidden ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Never tried it myself. My Goos are quite *ahem* "free" with their bodily functions. lol
Haha, ditto. I find myself quite often having to clean the cage inside AND out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I though they would be like rabbits and other rodents. I really didn't look at that cage close enough, It was a great cage, all except for the
price...$150+ not including shipping, sorry not in my budget!!! Although I still think I might attempt to litter train, then I can at least say I tried!! Oh well if it doesn't work. I found another really neat cage, you can look under the post galvenized wire, it's under there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, not under the one called galvenized wire bu the one called what to do with galvenized wire that was my goof!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i love degus...just not the cleaning the cage part...but i am trying degus to go in the litter box..and it is working

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, let us know how it works out, and by the way

Hope you like it here at paw-talk, it's great!

·
Registered
123 Posts
my goo has a fave spot however piddles quite freely wherever he likes lol ive read that you can train them however mine have not shown proof of this!

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I finally got their permanent cage (instead of one to keep them in before I got a good one), I noticed that my gus were weeing in the upper corner of a plank on top of their cage... it was wood, so we were worried it might stain. So I got an old chinese takeaway box, mopped up the wee & put it in the box along with some sawdust. Now they wee & (mostly) poo in the box!

One problem I am having, though- when they're out they poo EVERYWHERE. And also 'mark' (leave little wee trails). How do I stop them from doing this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i dont really think you can stop them leaving u little presents to clean up when their out mine do the same when out u could try training them outside the cage but dont think it will work but good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
gu poo

Thanks for your reply, I think I might try it! Next time I get them out, I'm gonna put their toilet tray out the cage & put it in the area they run around in... I bought them a kind of play-pen that I put in the living room :3

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know I'm r-hashing an old thread; for the people who have experience or litter trained degus did you follow a similar training schedule as I see on all the hamster litter training posts online? Clean the cage, add poo and urine soaked bedding to a container in their "usual" corner and continue to move all waste into that place multiple times per day?

My degus have plenty of space to eat, play and do their business in their cage but they seem to poo a lot inside their wooden house which doesn't seem right...you know the old saying...don't poo where you eat/sleep, degus don't seem to 100% get that.

Side Note: has anyone else witnessed their goo's help the little poo pellet out of their bum and throw it? I watched one of mine do this the other day and it absolutely cracked me up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been looking into this and it doesn't seem like it's possible as they'll poop uncontrollably. I'm sure it'll take a lot of dedication to just sit there and make them poo in a corner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've somewhat done this with one of my younger goos and he is now only going to the bathroom on that floor so I think it all depends on the degus personality..

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I've had completely litter-trained degus before so yeah, it's possible :). Just depends on the degu! But for me, as long as they're peeing in the litterbox, that's good enough (and all of my degus have gotten to at least that point). The droppings are easy to clean up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts