Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all its been a while.. Anyway, My rat mr. Magoo, the Hairless one has developed something really odd, one of his eyes went completely grey! I dont know what to do any really need some advice. thanks, Double

If you know what it is or what causes, Tell me please

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Do you mean his eye ball itself? Does it look milky? I would say he has either gone blind in that eye or has some issues! I would reccomend a vet trip!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
is it just grey discs over the pupils? Those would be cataracts and they just come with age sometimes.

These are small and developing

or like this?

This is a serious eye injury and I would advise seeing a good vet ASAP.

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
Your rat has either went blind or is developing cataracts.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
You will need antibiotics, pain meds like metacam (very important) and ointment as well...keep that eye ball moist. Bella went blind but kept the eye, we were very surprised, and I was ready to run her in to my vet for an emergency enucleation. The eyeball had been scratched and I didn't post those pics but they went through some awful changes but finally settled down to a smaller eyeball.

Bella's was from a scratch from her sister's claw during a scuffle...she was already an old lady at this time, but lived until 3 years old. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hes on meds and Pain killers, see he's a younger rat, only about 8 months, so its sad to see this, and i dont know how he got it, because his buddy past a few months back..

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
Hes on meds and Pain killers, see he's a younger rat, only about 8 months, so its sad to see this, and i dont know how he got it, because his buddy past a few months back..
Did the Vet say it was Cataracts or that he was blind?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
He could've scratched it himself, or on something in his cage...the nakies are much more prone to eye issues/injuries :(

If you would like to see my saga with Bella and her eye (some pics are really gruesome) here's her post on another forum...you should be able to view the Health section as a guest.

http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17181#p17181

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Injured his Eye, he`s blind in it now, now just to get the Imflamation down, and he`ll be fine hopefully. And I have a feeling my Orange Weaver Bird got to him, that little bugger. when Im out he gets out of his cage somehow, then reaks havoc

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Actually there's a lot more than just inflammation, if you see any swelling he will need antibiotics...the eye may die not just shrink and you would need an enucleation (eye removal)...I didn't have to with Bella but I had to go through this with Lady and her glaucoma.

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
Aww. Good luck with your rattie and lets hope his eye gets somewhat better! :sneakyhug

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GOod news, the Eye is better, After some cream, Painkillers and Imflammitory Represents, Its back to regular size, But sadly he's blind in that Eye(Does it really matter though, Rats eyes are awful lol) he's back to his regular self in no pain and fun and happy again :)

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Hooray! Happy to hear that :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts