Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son convinced me to get rats as pets a year ago. I now have 8 and adore them. Now, as a very smart teen, he has me looking for Emmins and Gambian pouched rats as pets, and as a teen biz venture. He wants to breed them because a import ban made them nearly impossible to get in the US for 5 years. The ban is lifted as of 2008.

If anyone out here has ever kept them, or could validate his interest in breeding them as pets, please respond. TY :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am in the uk so there is no ban on them here (yet) an they are good pets but **** hard to get to breed!! BUT!! They can be very difficult to deal with totally different to "normal" rats an to be honest with experience with both emins and gambians (i keep both) i really prefer my normal rats.....though i do love my pouchies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
cant seem to get back to this page through the forum.....? I'm lost here (i'm new) but if you want any info then just let me know.....([email protected]) I am always happy to help new keepers if i can or if i cant i know people that will know the answers!! XX

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Because of the ban there are very few left in the USA and people who have these types of rats don't like to give up where they got them from.

If he is planning on breeding them he should research it A LOT. Gambians and Emins can be very aggressive and IMO they haven't been bred enough to completely breed out the aggressiveness. They aren't a pet for everyone and whomever has them HAS to know what they're dealing with.

You will also have to know a vet who can care for these types of exotic pets.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
The Gambians may be technically permitted for entry into the US, but I understand that actually getting your hands on them is another matter entirely.

That being said, be aware that they are big, very smart, and unexpectedly dextrous, so plan your caging very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts