Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My girlfriend and I adopted two male rats last year here in Aberdeen, UK.
So far it's been fine taking care of them but in a way we were duped by the SPCA and our vet, they told us we could travel with them by plane to mainland Europe etc, but this is incredibly expensive and difficult.
Once we found out we couldn't, we had to pay boarding for them but it has grown very expensive and we would like to look for alternatives if possible.
Our boys are older and very calm, they've never bitten us and they're kind to everyone they meet.
We need to travel home for work and internships between June 8th or 15th~ September 30th and need to find someone to take care of them for us.
We're willing to negotiate a price or willing to take care of your pets during term-time in return.

Our options are very limited sadly, we have taken responsibility for them so giving them away is not an option, we love them dearly. Paying the kennel we found here in Aberdeen cost us quite a bit (we're both students).

Please, if you know anyone or any place where the prices are reasonable or they do deals for long-term boarding, let us know. We would appreciate it very much, as travelling with them to mainland Europe is a dilemma beyond belief...

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Hey, glad to see you aboard! :)

You know, I don't know that there are many UK rat connections on this site, given how small it is. However, the largest online rat community and the best connected would be Goosemoose. Join up over there and ask for help with them. Tell them they were recommended for the problem you are having in your request. That might even get you a quicker response. There's several UK Goosers who might be able to hook you up or at least give you an action plan.

Plus Goosemoose had lots of solid info. It's a bit intimidating to newcomers because they are sooooo passionate about rat care and rat rights, but in this case it will work to your advantage because if anyone will know who can help you, they will.

http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, glad to see you aboard! :)

Hey, thank you so much for the reply.
We were calculating the costs of travelling with them and everything since there's no way we want to give them up. It's pretty expensive so far...
I will definitely check out the site tomorrow,
thanks again :)

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Are you sure you're calculating it right? Maybe it depends on who you're flying with because here they can fit under you're seat in one of those really small dog carriers so its considered a carry on bag. Different airlines/trains/boats have different rules though so...idk. I just know when I wanted to travel with one of my dogs to the UK the cost was outrageous! Then I found that he was small enough to be a bag lol

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Smuggles, welcome to the Rat Forum! Always fun to have new people aboard, and from overseas! Storyseeker already gave you the great tip about Goosemoose but I still wanted to say a hello to our new UK friend. :)

And also to tell you how awesome it is that you are trying to find someone to take care of your sweet furry ones and the effort you are willing to make to ensure they are well taken care of during your travels. Everyone on this rat forum would do the same and understand how our rats are our children...we would do anything for them, but it is still nice to see others doing that as well. It gives me hope daily for the human race and how we treat our furry kids. :sneakyhug

Welcome! (and sorry so many of us are in the U.S/Canada, ha ha) not much help for you with us being over in the States, eh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Blacksheep,
Hey, travel with rats from within to outside the UK by plane is an incredible hassle. They don't allow you to travel with animals except dogs, cats and ferrets to the EU and back...
It's a real shame.

@Vladina,
Haha, yes! I mean, we adopted them from someone that couldn't take care of them and they turned out to be the best little things ever.

What we have decided to do now is the following:
I am going to be taking the train down to Dover (Near London), then a ferry to Calaise where my girlfriend (who will take a plane over before me) will meet me by car so we can drive from Calaise to Brussels.
Then later on, because on the European mainland airlines like SAS allow travel of pets like rats in their cabins, I can take them with me to Sweden when I go there for the summer.
And then we have to do the whole thing again by the end of it.
I think finding someone to take care of them for four months~ is hoping too much, so we've just decided to take responsibility and make the trip for them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I am so thrilled and happy that you are taking your furry children with you! I didn't know it was a 4 month trip so I know the boys are going to be so happy not being separated from you for so long. Rats are so in love with their people and they would miss you terribly. That is terrific that you are taking them with you!! Now you don't have to worry about how they are doing with someone else. Yay! :confetti:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's also that, yes.
And they're old...we adopted them at around 1-1 and a half years old, and we've had them for about a year now.
I don't want to leave them somewhere over the summer only to find out they've passed.
So I guess, road and boat trip for us :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts