Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I live in New Jersey (close to New York City) and I am trying to find a reputable local breeder. I've gone to the AKC web page and they only list 2 breeders in New Jersey. I tried contacting them and they aren't getting back to me. I see dogs that look like Lhasas all over the place when I am driving.

I was hoping someone owns a lhasa apso and can tell me where they got their dog from.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
If you can't find one in NJ (and I've heard adopting in NJ can be difficult, some of the shelters down there have weird requirements), try NYC shelters since you're close :). Are you ok with mixes or do you want a purebred dog? I second the suggestion of Petfinder if you haven't looked on there already.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I'd look on petfinder - even if you don't find your perfect dog in NJ or NYC, there are a lot of shelters out there who would be willing to work out out of state adoptions. You might even find some that are willing to work with you to find a way to get the dog transported closer to where you live if you find one you love that's far away.

Also call local shelters and let them know what you are looking for. A lot of them will be more than willing to take your information down and give you a call if they get any dogs in that you might be interested in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi I live in New Jersey (close to New York City) and I am trying to find a reputable local breeder. I've gone to the AKC web page and they only list 2 breeders in New Jersey. I tried contacting them and they aren't getting back to me. I see dogs that look like Lhasas all over the place when I am driving.

I was hoping someone owns a lhasa apso and can tell me where they got their dog from.
Many times the dogs that we see around are crosses of Lhasa and Shih Tzu. Those are wonderful dogs, can be hard to house train, but it all depends on what kind of time you have to work with a new dog.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I do frequent pet finder a lot and yes a lot of the shelters in Jersey seem to make it difficult (although I do kind of understand their concern but some seem borderline crazy). I keep changing my mind on the dog breed I want because they are all just so adorable and I want to save them all.

I am just nervous about adopting a shelter dog because I'll never have an accurate history of the pooch to possibly explain behavioral issues. I am worried being I am a first time pet owner.

I never thought of them as being a mix.

I did go through the akc site and i did find the rescue organization.

Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Maybe you can check Craigslist? There are rescue organizations that post there, or there are individual people who are trying to re-home their doggies too. If you did it that way, you would be able to meet your new dog's previous family and know some of the history.

We found my Shi-Tzu by looking at a bulletin board at a pet store where people can put up adds for animals they need to re-home. His owner didn't have time for him, so we adopted him at 5 months old and his first owner has even come to visit him for a couple of his birthdays.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Have you seen this sites? Lhasaapso.rescueme.org/NewYork or Dogs.oodle.com/lhasa_apso/new-york-area/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts