Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got 2 hamsters last Wednesday. I am a complete newbie, I have no idea what the right thing to do is, and I feel like I'm going to kill them...

BG info:
BREED: Syrian hamsters
COLOR/NAME: One of them is white (Peanut) and the other is black(Black Bean). pic of Peanut sleeping on Black Bean
AGE: They were both born on the first week of September so they are only a little over a month old.
GENDER: I am about 70% sure they are both males. My friend who gave them to me checked, but he started to become unsure when I told him they started fighting. They kept moving around and squirming when I tried to check myself - and I was afraid of hurting them.
LIVING CONDITIONS: I got this at PETCO, so I'm using the Soft Sorbent bedding and food that came with it. I change the water&food almost everyday. But I haven't been able to change the bedding yet because school has kept me busy the whole week. They've been using the soft sorbent bedding since Saturday. I know I'm suppose to change it at least one a week, so I'm going to get them CareFresh bedding tomorrow and change it asap. It looks like this at my home

I don't have a CLUE about what's going on, so I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible on what I observe.

PROBLEM1.
Black Bean is constantly chasing after Peanut and I think he's hurting Peanut because Peanut squeaks (that sounded like pain to me...). But Peanut never started bleeding. I read that Syrian are very aggressive and territorial so they will fight each other until the end. When I told my friend about the fighting, he says that they might be playing, and they shouldn't hurt each other because they're brothers? I don't know how legitimate that reasoning is... ALSO, I've noticed that Black Bean is usually sniffing/aiming for Peanut's rear/stomach... I don't know if hamsters just fight like that or if there's a reason... I also found BB to be chasing Peanut when he's pooping twice..

PROBLEM2.
I think Peanut has a cold. I see him sneezing a lot and I think the area I put him is kind of cold... (pic - the raiator is not on. The curtains covering the windows are thin.) But I think it's the only place I can put him without my family complaining about it =( Is there anything I can do with the cage to nurse him back to health from his cold?

PROBLEM3.
I've put BB and Peanut in a clear exercise ball before and they've peed in it. BB has normal looking urine (clear, yellowish), but BB has this pale opaque yellow urine... it looks like watery pus... I'm a bit worried... I saw BB pee in the ball first, so I thought maybe that's what hamster pee is like. But then Peanut peed in the ball today and it looked a little like human pee, so I got worried. Is something wrong? What can be done?

**SERIOUS PROBLEM4.
BB is a really bad swollen right paw... at least I think it's bad. It was fine yesterday. But then when I returned from school today, I saw that it was really red and puffy and I got really worried. I did some research online and found that it could be an allergic reaction to the bedding or a broken paw...
Here are some pics:
blurry - but has both paws for comparison
clear picture of his right paw

I love them so much and I'd spent any amount of time/do any labor for them - like rip up newspapers for BB's new cardboard box cage so he doesn't hurt his paw more by trying to run on the wheel, or have to be around that Soft Sorbent bedding that might be causing him to have an allergic reaction.
This is what their area looks like now.

A lot of you are probably going to tell me to take them to the vet, especially BB, but I've spent all the money I have on their cage & starter kit, ball, silent wheel, and I don't know how much a vet would cost. I also have to buy them new CareFresh bedding for them when I'm already indebted to my friends. So please consider that too when you respond with some advice...
Btw, are exercise balls stressful for hamsters? I really want to know because I read that they were at a site before, but I also want to allow my hammies outside of their cage and explore my apartment.

Thank you so much. They're my babies and I'm spending hours, neglecting college applications that are due next weekend, to take care of them.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Firstly hun Syrian hamsters are solitary and dont tolerate living with others so that would explain the chasing etc they are ok when they are young but as they grow up they will start to fight and it will become aggressive.........
Secondly that cage looks a little small especially for 2 hammies!

And as for the health problems you are right.....i would suggest you take a trip to the vets! When you buy a pet you should always have money put aside for vets bills just incase and if you cant afford it then don't buy the pet.....you are going to need to buy another cage too and separate them as they will end up fighting to the death.....

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Oh,that cage is definetly too small..the aggression comes from them living together,if someone told you Syrians can live together they are tragically wrong.if you want hamsters to live together-get Dwarfs..Anyway,as for the pee...i dont know,it could indicate an infection but i cant say for sure.the swollen paw probably comes from a fight and should be checked out and monitered by a vet asap,....
your too busy to clean the bed?? if your goin to college then a hamster probably isnt the right pet for you,since you'll be in school all day and studying and sleeping all night.the only time to play with them would be at night for a few hours-what a commitment.i found it hard with my hammie while i went to school and worked all night but i made the commitment to be the right parent for him and sacrificed sleep for him.

im sorry if i come off the wrng way,i really wish the best for you and your ham-hams,but they need to see a vet and get fixed up and also seperated in oreder to be happy and healthy..if you cant afford the vet,you cant afford the pet (thats my 2 O's)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's especially a bad idea to put 2 Male hamsters together as they are teritorial sex anyway! I would suggest you take bb to the vets! and keep them separated becuase it is just going to get worse.
Hope everythign goes well....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I thought it would be okay because my friend that gave it to me kept all of his Syrian hamsters in one glass tank. I think I'm going to keep them separated and take BB to the vet soon.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
yeah hun...um, syrians absolutely cannot live together, regardless of their sexes. they are solitary animals and will fight no matter what you do to appease them, no matter how big the cage. you best split them up before one kills the other. best wishes :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
2 hamsters are not sapote to be in the same cage together i think you should get separate cages. Or one of thems goint to get realy hurt.

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Please seperate them ASAP as others have been telling you because they will FIGHT and kill eachother sooner or later and you will have a HUGE amount of vet bills with that!
As for seperating them if you are short for cash here is a site for you.
http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUniversity/HamsterCages.html
These are some cages you can build yourself for a few dollars! i think you's call them LOL
And for the foot please take him to the vet ASAP and hun don't be offended because we all get sometimes where we all wants animals and we realise they are so much hard work but as cazamps says.. Any type of animal needs vet care if they get sick so hun if you cant afford the vet .. you cant afford the pet,
i hope you get all sorted and hope you take in everyone's advice! please update us!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts