Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 male degus which i was once told was best to have then i found it is BAD to have 2 males (sexual maturaty) well one of them is letting VERY LOUD squeks and im not sure what to do. it comes at random they arent fighting or even near each other when he starts??? we have had them for a month and finally had a breakthrough with them last night they started taking food out of hand. what is the squeking and is there something i can do to help him? thank you in advance, brandy

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It's not bad to have two males. They're more prone to fighting but most live together just fine as long as they have enough room :).

Are the squeaks spaced apart evenly? Almost like an alarm? Or are they more screechy and random? Sorry for the weird questions but there are different kinds, haha.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the squeaks are spaced evenly it almost sounds like a chirp so yeah kinda like an alarm. he doesnt do it everyday but i noticed that when he does do it, nothing is going on? they are fighting and there was no sudden movements (i know that thoses can scare them) it is just random

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Sounds like an alarm call, he was probably spooked by something you didn't notice (they have really good hearing so even noises outside could freak him out). A lot of new degus tend to squeak a lot but it usually stops once they've settled in :). They also sometimes have night frights where they'll freak out in the middle of the night. Whether it's because of a noise or a dream, I'm not sure, but talking to them usually helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Degu Curping.

Hello,

I was reading about your degues curping...lol one of my sons does the same thing, and yes they just got spooked...The degue that does it is names Pickles and he will only stop if my son Mike picks him up and holds him for a few minuted to help him feel safe...They are like children and only want their moms or dads..lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts