Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had a lovebird and her hubby didnt want it anymore so he tried to get rid of it by leaving the cage door open for about 4 hours so that it would just fly off...it didnt go...didnt want to leave...Mind you my friend didnt know he had done this as she was out of the house. She says he cant stand the noise it makes so she has given it to me! He/she is gorgeous... blue that turns shiny green blue when the light hits it. Gorgeous!:D
I dont know if its a male or female. Is thers a way to tell visually with lovebirds? Also what do u think about housing it with cockatiels? I have 6 tiels and it would be conveinant to house them together but i think that i read here somewhere that it isnt recommended. What do u think?

Here is a pic of Cookie!!

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I don't know anything about birds, but it is lovely and that was mean to have the bird fly away! Didn't they know that it couldn't survive on its own. I had birds once from a local pet shop and they took them back, a little upset because they had so many, but I couldn't stand the noise either. Also Petco I think will help people adopt their animals out. Sorry but I think it is mean to let a tame bird, or any animal out into the world when they don't know how to survive.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
DO NOT put the lovebird in with the cockatiels. The lovebird could kill or cripple them. They are rarely sociable with other species. The diets may be similar, but it ends there.

bob

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I agree with Bob. Absolutely NOT on the housing with the tiels.

Most bird species have no real visible difference between sexes. The accurate way to determine sex is dna testing.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question about nest......

Thanks Bob and Chrisanne for your advice. Thats what i thought i heard already about the two if housed together.

Christine..i agree...it wasnt a nice thing her hubby did...im just glad it didnt fly away and now i have it.:)

Another question,:confused: the friend who gave him/her to me had a nest for it and I am not gonna breed it and dont want to encourage any egg laying.
I need to know if there is any reason to keep the nest in otherwise. I know with tiels a nest isnt needed unless they are going to breed. But is it different with a lovebird..does it need to have a nest to sleep in? Thats what my friend told me ..that it needs the nest to sleep in.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
No, they don't need a nest, or a box. They are fine, better as pets actually, if they are by themselves. Just food, water, a few perches, some toys and some attention are all they need.

bob

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again

Yep that is what i thought also...but i needed to be sure and decided i should ask here cuz there are so many knowledgeable people here like Bob...thanks:D

If you have any other advice that you can think of when it comes to lovies please let me know...i have subscribed to this thead and will check it often to see if you have anything in the way of advice to offer.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cookie is adorable. Good luck with her. I would have killed my husband. There have been times where my husband might have rolled his eyes at pet messes and such from the bunnies or bird, but he would never do that. Some jerk

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree with you!! He is a big Jerk! If it were my husband he would be severely punished and have to be a sex camel for a very very very long time!!! After i make him wish he never met me...hehe

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
umm thought i would explain that comment...sex camel...
you know how a camel can go a long time without water....well apply it to a man that has to go without..nookie..hehehe

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for asking Jamie..Cookie is doing really good so far! She is feeling comfortable and loves to bob her head at me when i talk to her. She is silly! She is really excited to see me in the morning too!
We all are getting used to her high pitched noises...my birds arent freaking out so much like before either. She enjoys having her own cage across the room from my other birds which she can see and talk with.:)

·
Paw Talk's prodicle son .
2,405 Posts
= ^ ~ ^ =

I cant see the cookie !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love birds are very strong like the bigger parots in the parot family, they can be agressive to other birds. If they were brought up together or came together from another place and are bonded to each other fine, otherwise I wouldn't risk it. The only other parot in this family that it will get along once introduced slowly is a green cheek conure. I almost got one for mine, but it proved too expensive and my love bird already bonded to my guinea pig and mother's the piggy. She is very bonded to me also, as she is by herself. She loves cuddles and scratches and cuddling in blankies, and kisses. A nest box is not needed unless for breeding. My baby likes to get into blankets and pillows and things, and my hands when she is sleepy or just wants cuddles.

Parots unlike budgies do not have a cere the coloured part just above the beak, to tell what sex it is. The only way to tell by physical means is if it displays characterisitics of a female, laying eggs, pushing paper under but, sitting sorta wide leged apart on perch, also if you gently feel the pelvic bone usually, but not always the males are very close together and the females feel wider,for laying eggs. Other than that, DNA tests will tell you for sure. I don't know for sure what Molly, my peachy is, she has very closley set pelvic bones and doesn't do any female things, but I decided that she was a girl and named her Mollly. Only the bird knows for sure, but they don't know the difference between a girl's or boy's name, and I trained her just fine by saying good girl, andshe knows her name. I figured if the bird don't care and is happythen i am also! HEE HEE!!

Hope this helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts