Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am new here. I had some questions regarding my peachfaced lovebird. She's all alone in a cage and I feel bad because I haven't been able to find her a mate. I know it is difficult to determine sex with lovebirds and usually a DNA test would determine whether or not a lovebird is male or female. I met a pet shop owner who is good at figuring out the sex, but he hasn't had any lovebirds come in to the shop. I guess lovebirds are getting scarce in pet shops these days.

My question is... is there a pet shop online where I can special order a male lovebird? Do i specifically have to mate my peachfaced lovebird with another peachface? I know there are different lovebirds, so Im wondering if any male "lovebird" will do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Like you said the only true way to tell is with the DNA sexing. May I ask why you want another love bird? are you planing on breeding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glidertales said:
Like you said the only true way to tell is with the DNA sexing. May I ask why you want another love bird? are you planing on breeding?
yes. plus, my peachface has been alone... i kind of want to hook her up with a mate. i feel bad when she lays eggs and she mothers the eggs not knowin they wont hatch without a mate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You will probably have to find a breeder. If there was on online pet store with a bird you could put in a cart like feature, i would begin to worry on our take of animal lives :(

Find a breeder near you and make sure yours is female. And you can't just shove a male into the cage with her if it is a female..you need to buy a seperate cage and let them get to know each other. Your putting a strange bird in her territory so she will act out to protect herself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raiquee said:
You will probably have to find a breeder. If there was on online pet store with a bird you could put in a cart like feature, i would begin to worry on our take of animal lives :(

Find a breeder near you and make sure yours is female. And you can't just shove a male into the cage with her if it is a female..you need to buy a seperate cage and let them get to know each other. Your putting a strange bird in her territory so she will act out to protect herself.
i dont know any breeders around this area. most of these pet stores do not have qualified employees who know much about these birds. my plan is to buy a male lovebird and put him ina separate cage so that they do get used to each other. im just worried that they might not get along and fight. i dont want to see my female lovebird dying or dead from fighting with the male lovebird. thats why im somewhat skeptical about buying another lovebird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts