Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at everything that could be causing Moki's illness Protein being too high is a def possibility.

I am putting him on oxbow regal rat now

is there a seed mix I could give? he will be down to 1 teaspoon seed mix a day because he is a chub plus the possible allergens.

Please help I never want to see this happen again :(

I keep Supreme food reggie rats on hand as a treat food for my rats ... its only 13% protein I do want him down to12% protein including veggies.

Sorry to make this complicated.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Are you looking to do homemade or find a commercial seed mix that fits your requirements?

Is this referring to Moki's sores? Or something else?

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Commercial seed mix and Moki's sores. I want to completely prevent this in the future.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Most commercial mixes won't fit your requirements so I can't help with that, sorry. Hopefully someone else knows of one.

As for the sores, it's probably just mites so I wouldn't worry about protein being the cause just yet. Maybe see what happens after mite treatment.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree a lot of sores and lesions on rats and mice are caused by mites, which have a simple solution so I'd try that first. If you need a super low protein diet, you may want to just try making your own mix in the blender. I make a mix of food that I call mash made from whole grains veggies and very light protein for my parrots. You can make a huge batch and then freeze it in individual serving containers.

Why do you need to feed a seed mix regularly at all if there's already a weight problem? Most folks don't recommend seed mixes for rodents anymore, way high in fat and too easy for them to just pick out what they like. A high quality lab block supplemented with veggies grains fruits and the occassional yogie or fatty treat is just fine.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done I treated him for mites and he is doing great.

he is a healthy fat I found out lol my girls are just very lean :) I haveno reason to worry about him at all now. :) I will post pics on his health thread tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts