Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting time for me to have to make a decision on whether to put Betsy to sleep or not. The cancer is eating her alive :( She's still eating and drinking okay, but she just lays around all the time.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Oh no, I am so sorry. :(
That is always the toughest decision to make. I know you will do what your heart tells you to do. Keep us posted. Again, I am truly sorry.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had to make this decision numerous times before... It never gets any easier.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Are her eyes dull, does she seem uncomfortable, or is she still eager for her food, some cuddles etc? Where is the tumour? Most mammary tumours are no malignant/cancerous, but benign still can end up killing your girl.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She still lights up when she sees a treat, but otherwise her eyes pretty much stay dull. The tumor is behind her front left leg and is the size of a marble.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
She still lights up when she sees a treat, but otherwise her eyes pretty much stay dull. The tumor is behind her front left leg and is the size of a marble.
Oh that's tiny!!

Mammary tumours are sub-cutaneous for the most part and don't affect a rat until its grown to a size that it starts to steal the nutrients/blood supply from the rat.

How old is she? It sounds like something other than a tumor is going on.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's 2 1/2.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
She's 2 1/2.
So forgetting the tumour what other symptoms are you seeing? Sleeping a lot more, not moving around as much and drinking/peeing more are all very typical signs of aging, as long as she is bright when she is awake.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She just sits in the corner all hunched over with a glazed look on her face. Could it just be senelity?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
She just sits in the corner all hunched over with a glazed look on her face. Could it just be senelity?
No. She's lethargic as well. How do her lungs sound? Is she having any laboured breathing? Does she have blood in her urine? Smell her all over for any signs of infection (the nose can be your first indicator and is invaluable).

Is she eating and drinking and pooping normally?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some wheezing. Doesn't seem like breathing is labored though. Stools a little soft sometimes but not all the time. Eating ok. Drinking what I think is an excessive amount but the vet just said the cancer is taking a lot out of her (she has small tumors throughout her abdomen area). Don't see blood in her urine and I use the white carefresh so I would see it. The main thing is how skinny she is and she seems dehydrated. It's all a gray area to me. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer of "this is what I need to do".

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
She has internal masses? ugh, I think there's your answer. Those can be nasty, wrap around, adhere or just push on internal organs, and can cause pain. I am sorry. :(

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Betsy is with my baby Meatball now :( RIP sweet one

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Early Saturday morning and I just saw your post. I am very sorry about Betsy. :(
I know how hard this is, truly. Did you finally take her to the vet to have her put to sleep? My thoughts are with you and Betsy. I am sure you are at least relieved that she is not in pain anymore and is with Meatball. Rest in Peace sweet Betsy.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I had to take her and I wasn't able to go back with her. I was freaking her out with my sobbing and felt that it was best for her for me to stay away. My friend also lost a rat this week and hers are like my kids so I feel like I lost two babies all in one week. My head is killing me today.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes, I remember feeling completely drained, headachy, miserable and upset beyond belief after having to let my two boys go. My husband and I just about had nervous breakdowns. Probably why it has been an entire year since our boys passed and we still have not brought ourselves to get new boys. We keep remembering how devastated we both were. Lots of sobbing, on the verge of hyperventalating...we had no idea how deeply attached we would be to our two little furry children. I think the vets at the animal hospital were getting ready to give us Valium or something as soon as our boys went to sleep. Sigh...so hard. Well, at least you know that the people on this forum ALL know what you are going through, so you don't have to feel like you are dealing with this alone. That can be a help. Hang in there and try to think about how Betsy is running, playing and having a blast with Meatball right now, yes? All our love and sympathy,

Vlad and Marc

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I have had over 100 losses myself and it still hurts. I feel empty and drained, sometimes I cry, and I always feel a headachy feeling. I recover better than most, having no choice with all these furry fiends needing me to care for them.

Sweet Betsy, bruxxing and boggling because she was able to leave her unhealthy body behind.

((hugs))

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I really liked how you put that Lilspaz...it was awesome. About Betsy bruxing and boggling, happy that she got to leave her unhealthy body behind. That is such a wonderful, very true, and beautiful way to look at it. I am going to remember that. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts