Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Making a final cage desison...opinons?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Storyseeker 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am planning to get two neutered male rats. When I find females I am interested, two girlies will join them. (that might be a few months who knows).

So there will be 4 rats in this cage. I am trying to decide between the following three. Im leaning towards the 1st, because I am low on money and on room. Ive read some reviews and they all look promising.
I WILL be covering the platforms with a layer of plexiglass or plastic to keep everyone from getting sore feeties, and then a layer of fleece on top. Wheel will be removed if we have chewing issues :p

coastcages: Bel Air 5 Story Rat Manison. Ill remove the wheel if they chew :p. I like the deep pan cause the cage will be on my bedroom dresser after all. 5 stories looks like FUN :p

martainscages: Either the 690 or 695. The 690 is moreso in my budget, but i dont think its wide enough, i mean, 14 inches? According to rat calculators its not wide enough either.

Anyone have experience with these cages? I think the 1st one look like more fun anyways, with all those platforms.

P.S Ive been searching craigslist and all, just not much there thats any good.

Sorry I couldnt post links, havent posted 20 times yet :/

Thanks in advnace,
Grace

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It can be hard to find something on Craiglist, but occasionally you can really luck up.

I know nothing about the first cage but I'm familiar with the Martins.

The Martin's 690 is much too small. It is appropriate for babies/juveniles, or up to 3 itty bitty females. The 695, however is a good choice for up to 4 rats. Spring for the powder coated. It will last 2 years longer than without the powder coating.

The advantage of a martin's is it is cheap, the wires openings are escape proof, though there have been a very few smart rats who have figured out how to open the cage doors. They are also pretty easy to move from place to place. The deep pan is fabulous. I wish all rat pans were made like theirs. The disadvantage is that they can be rather 'cramped' for reaching in with cleaning and hanging things, at least the 690 was for me...but I'm a chubby lady, so if you're agile and thin, you may not have the same problem. Some advice though: if you get it, don't clamp the bottom of the ramps permanently in place. Otherwise you will have a pain in the butt time sizing and pinning liners into place.

#3 ·
Thankyou StorySeeker, Ill keep in mind all those good things bout Martains...and thankyou for the tip about clamping the ramps, knowing me I wouldve put them in permanantly. I was planning on the powder coated :D

#7 ·
The flip top does make a huge difference in the ease of cleaning. The 695 doesn't come with a standard flip top, but if you ask them about it, Martin's company is really good about honoring any cage design modifications you'd like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.