Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at houses and tips on renting with pets. My local SPCA suggests making a pet resume to better my chances of having everyone accepted.

I was told to put the pet's name, owner(s), current address and phone number. Then to put a little about them and any professional references at the bottom.

Pretty much here is what I have (just a sample.)

Spyro
John Doe and Jane Everclear
321 Fake Street
New York, NY 12345
(123) 555-5555

[I have nothing for the intro. Tips would be awesome]

HEALTH AND GROOMING
Spyro is a neutered and very well mannered dog. He is completely house broken and trained not to bark. Spyro is brushed daily and bathed monthly. His nails are trimmed once every four weeks and covered with vinyl nail caps. (<-included that part because one house I was looking at has hardwood floors.) He is checked by a veterinarian once a year, up to date on rabies, and licensed with New York Animal Control.

REFERENCES
Dr. John Jacob at Paw Talk Veterinary Hospital (123) 765-4321

As far as training goes, I have trained all of my dogs. My mom is the one that normally watches them when I'm away (although I will probably board them at the vet's now that my mom has moved away.) My dogs actually have 3 vets. One for check ups, one for non lethal emergencies (like fox tails in the ear or large cuts) and a 24 hour emergency hospital. All three have been to my regular vet. The one I use for non lethal emergencies is just a walk in hospital that only Loki has been to. I haven't had an emergency where I have had to take them to the 24 hour hospital but have it on speed dial just in case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you've done a great job to start. I'm assuming that many people who rent to those with animals are concerned about barking (which you addressed), noise on hardwood floors (which you addressed), continence issues (not addressed) and any destructive behaviors. There also appears to be a trend towards only allowing dogs of a certain weight or less; cats seem to be more acceptable (not sure why).

As an intro, I would introduce yourself, along with what you and your wife do professionally, the age of the dog, and the time the dog would be spent alone at home. Also, I would mention if the dog is (or needs) crate training, if the dog needs to be walked during the day whom else would have access to your apartment, and that you will be responsible for any damage caused by your pet at the end of the lease. (Hey, my 10 month old Tibetan Terrier chewed almost through the bottom rails of my dining room table chairs unbenownst to me and now all need to be repaired lest someone collapse at our table:)).

I would ask the potential landlord if he/she wants to meet your dog and if the dog has passed the GCC (Good Canine Citizen) test (not that it really means anything because my 3.5 year old tibetan terrier passed it when he was 8 months old and despite tons of training has regressed in his citizenship skills as he has matured into an adult. But such is life.

I think that the idea of a pet resume is a wonderful one. It shows landlords a sense of transparency (very important in this day and age) and a willingness to work with him/her on any potential concerns or problems.

Hoping this helps.

Oh ... I rambled. Intro: Who you are, what you do for a living, how long you are thinking of renting, your dog's name, how old your dog is, what specific training/needs he/she may have.

Good luck ... renting with dogs is often difficult in this day and age. Let me know how it goes.

Best,
Sue Yellen (TibetanLove)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Making the resume for the pet what a different idea this is. i want to say that i can make this for my little kitty but can you please share a resume which you has made before for any pet i will get good idea to do this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never even thought of that! At first I thought you meant renting out your pets lol. That is great especially since some say pet friendly but still worry depending on what breed or species they are! Sounds like you're a great pet owner and had a wonderful idea!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Making the resume for the pet what a different idea this is. i want to say that i can make this for my little kitty but can you please share a resume which you has made before for any pet i will get good idea to do this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For as much talk as there is about residential rental fees dramatically dropping, there are still loads of pet parents who live in fear of moving because finding pet friendly rentals is an increasingly difficult task. Attempting to sneak a dog or cat into a building which has a no pets policy is not advisable. Not only are you breaking the rules, but setting yourself and your pets up for a potentially stressful living situation. Every pitter patter of little (or big) paws, and every woof or meow will make you feel that an alarm is going off and you will be getting a call from the landlord's office at any moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For as much talk as there is about residential rental fees dramatically dropping, there are still loads of pet parents who live in fear of moving because finding pet friendly rentals is an increasingly difficult task. Attempting to sneak a dog or cat into a building which has a no pets policy is not advisable. Not only are you breaking the rules, but setting yourself and your pets up for a potentially stressful living situation. Every pitter patter of little (or big) paws, and every woof or meow will make you feel that an alarm is going off and you will be getting a call from the landlord's office at any moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts