Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adopt a 2 year old unfixed male Toy Poodle from a man on Craigslist. He said that the Poodle has marked inside the house when he is around his other unfixed male Toy Poodle.
I was wondering, Do you think neutering him would make him stop? Also, I have no other dogs so he has no one to compete with.
I know this forum cannot give me full answers but I just want some advice before I get the dog. I am not that experinced of a dog owner so I do not know if I could handle a serious case of marking.
And my only example is my sister's Chihuahua who would mark even after getting neutered (but he also bit everything and fought and such).
And would there be anything I could do other than neutering to make sure he does not do it?
Thank you. :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
The problem is that by now it's become a habit so neutering might not help. But he might be fine in your house since as you said, you don't have another dog. One of my fosters, Mojo, marked like crazy (he was neutered as an adult so it was habit) but stopped once he was adopted out to a home with no other dogs. Then again, I also had a neutered dachshund who marked even before I got another dog. If it's truly a competition thing with other dogs you should be ok.

Belly bands are always an option if he continues.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he said that the dog was only seen sent marking when the other male dog was around.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
If that's true then you should be fine. Keep in mind that he might want to mark when you first bring him home, un-neutered (or newly neutered) males often do that in a new environment. So supervise him at first.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your help. :)
I have been wanting a Poodle for a very long time and am just waiting for the offical approval from my landlord.
And I really want this dog. I myself think he is only marking because of the other dog and I hope that is all it is.
And I will for sure get him neutered of course. (along with a mircochip, grooming, ect..) :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
No problem and I hope you can get him! :) I like poodles and would eventually love to have one.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I will definitely let everyone know if I get him. Fingers crossed!
:)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Though there are few justification it works for their dogs but certainly not for all dogs. And marking if a behavior that can be corrected. Make sure you meet the dogs and the owner first and know all the necessary information about them, get their contacts too for future reference. Hope all is well when you decide to adopt them..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts