Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am currently completing an assignment for my college course about marmoset nutrition.
I am struggling to find any information about what supplements an adult marmoset needs? and what diseases or disorders can occur as a result of not getting the right nutrients.

I know they need calcium and vitamin D3 and that the youngsters can suffer from MBD and rickets if they don't get the right amount of calcium but I haven't found any diet related illnessnes for adults?

Also, how does a pregnant, lactating and geriatric diet differ to that of a maintainence diet for an adult marmoset?? As well as the whole diseases/disorders and supplements for the pregnant, lactating and geriatric.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would think that, primates being quite similar to humans, the deficiency diseases they would suffer would also be similar, even though the nutrient balance they need is a bit different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Marmosets are easy to care for. If they are getting D3 supplements then you just have to feed them like they are on a serious health food kick. Fruits, vegetables, baked chicken, scrambled eggs, mealworms and the occasional treats are what mine get. They do make a marmoset jelly but it is not available in my region and they don't even want to ship to me. Usually they will also get a small taste of my supper as well.
Make sure they get plenty of sunlight though. I keep mine under UV lamps for several hours each day or outside for several hours each day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts