Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I finally was able to snap a picture of Martin this weekend, what with all the running around we've been doing after him. He is such a bundle of energy!

Are there any JRT owners (previously or currently) that can share some insight on training/behavior development? He nips a little, chews on everything and gets so distracted that it's hard for him to respond to his name or commands.

We love him anyway but I am trying to refrain from calling the dog whisperer in!

Thanks!

June & Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Congratulations, he's adorable. Always have time to walk and exercise him to drain out some of his energy.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Aw he's sweet! My dog is a terrier too, maybe somewhere in his line is jrt but I'll kudo's the above suggestion. Exercise the single most important thing you can give a terrier. JRT are one of the most active breeds and he NEEDS something to do. He is not listening and nipping and such bc he has been given no boundaries.
If he nips you make a high pitched yelp and walk away from him. That's dog language for "that hurts! And I won't play with you if you want to bite". He'll get the picture.
How old is he?

We used to run our dog in a field, tied to a long clothesline rope which we held at all times, for up to 2 hours a day in good weather. This is why I am trying to engrain the exercise thing. JRT's would love to run and play for hours a day. Is there any clubs around you who do agility or terrier racing? JRT racing is a fun social event in which the dogs run down a swampy hill jump hurdles and swim a bit to try to get to the (terrified, but caged) bait first. I love watching it!! Here's some links for your breed,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russell_Terrier
http://www.jack-russell-lover.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfqtMKqXkw&feature=related

Standard rule though, for an active dog who is bored, exercise him. When he is physically worn out he is mentally worn out. Then you can try to work him :) That second link there should help you the most!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I fostered a JRT (not totally purebred but close enough to have the typical JRT temperament!) for several months and she ended up being one of the best dogs I've ever had the pleasure of knowing :D.

How old is he and how long have you had him? Is he nipping as part of play or is he teething? What does he have to chew and how are you currently training him? How are you trying to motivate him (you said he gets distracted)? How much exercise does he get and what kind of mental stimulation (puzzle toys, sports, trick training, etc.)?

JRTs are awesome (I didn't like them until I fostered one...I was never a terrier fan) but they can be high-maintenance dogs. They require a ton of exercise, both physical and mental. Lily did the same things you described until I figured out a good exercise routine...and she reverted to those behaviors again when I was gone for two days. A tired JRT is a happy and well-behaved JRT ;). We used to go hiking, jogging, running, etc. in addition to trick training (man, was she sharp), agility (try it out, JRTs can really excel), puzzle toys (Tug-a-Jug, Kong, IQ Ball, Bob-a-lot, and some others I can't remember at the moment), and games of fetch/chase indoors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

To everyone,

Thank you so much for all the advice! Martin is 2 years old, and he nips when he is being playful. I will definitely employ the high yelp and walking away tactic, it makes intuitive sense.

We are on a daily rotating schedule for walking/exercise (my boyfriend & I) so hopefully we can expand that to give him optimum physical activity. The racing/group ideas are really good and I will definitely explore some of those options in our area!

We are starting obedience training next week at Petco so I am looking forward to seeing progress through that as well.

Will keep everyone posted!! Thanks again!! :tyvm:

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
:) Keep us updated on his progress! It sounds to me like he needs direction and a job to do! Exercise will do that. The dog iq toys as Sasami mentioned are grade A excellent for doggies. I find them to be quite expensive in my region so try looking around and see what you can find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts