Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
My little guy, Mason, is a purebred Bichon Frise and he just got his first hair cut. We used really gentle shampoo (brought it in specifically and he has never had a problem with it when we have just given him baths in the past,) but he just seems SO uncomfortable. He can't stop licking his penis...it's like it's driving him crazy as if something is bugging him down there. He is also twitching his ears. Do you think this is just him getting used to going from SUPER POOFBALL FURRY PUPPY FLUFF to being shaved down for the first time or is this something I should take him to the vet for?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
My first thought was irritation of ingrown hairs depending on how close it was cut. Then I thought of his food, I know BF's are prone to food allergies for some reason- what do you feed him??

I think more likely he might have a UTI or some discomfort on his penis. OR he might have had a bad experience with the groomer and he's licking himself for comfort which is a behaviour to correct.

Moniter when he licks, how long he licks, what else he is doing while he licks and try to see if there is any blood or any other secretions.
Do not yell at him- gently distract him from doing it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can't be food...we know about Bichon food allergies so my husband and I made a pact to NEVER feed him human food from the day we got him and have been just feeding him the same holistic dog food food every single day since the day we got him (well, we slowly went from what he was on to "Blue" at 8 wks...but he's been on it ever since)

There's no bleeding/puss or anything. It's just red from all the licking! When do I say..."okay, I think it's time to take him in?" :(

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Feeding the same food every day can result in food allergies. Also, if you go to consumeraffairs.com, and type in that dog food, Blue has caused a LOT of issues in cats and dogs.

But I agree on the vet visit.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hope that's not serious for him and just little side effect on his first experience with the groomer. The skin probably had some kind of exposure, update us once you have from the vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts