Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a neighbor kid hanging around, and he was petting Parker, my cat. He had a drink in his hand and it spilled on the floor and partly on the cat, too.

I wasn't that upset with him about it. He and I cleaned the mess. The cat seemed fine, but I noticed that he developed some mats. I cut some of them with scissors being very careful. The problem is that some of the mats are very close to the skin. I tried to use electric hair clippers and that helped, too, but there are still some that I can't get.

Is there something I can put on the fur to help get rid of the mats where it is too close to the skin for scissors and too thick for clippers to go under?

All of the mats are on the left, middle of the back. He is a medium short hair, not a breed that generally ever mats in my experience.

Any suggestions? I might call a pet groomer on Monday.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is an older cat. 13 or so years. I am worried about shocking his system. I know older pets can't be directly bathed. I might be able to rub some soap in, I will try that next. This happened a couple of days ago, but I am only just now seeing any mats. A friend who was into pet grooming told me that cutting them away sometimes lets the cat be able to groom the rest easier. She said cut a little, then give it a day or two to groom, then work at it again.

I might try using a rag with soap and water on it, but I do not want to hurt this cat.

Thanks for the advice.

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
Try just using a damp washcloth, no soap, and "pet" him with it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts