Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a question about matted fur. I have a call into the vet about this too but wanted to see if anyone could answer me. Nipper has had an unusual matt in his fur on his back for about a month now. I can't pull it apart, brush it or anything. He's had many many dust baths to try to get rid of it. It seems to help for a bit but doesn't make it go away. That section of fur actually smells different and feels different. He complains when I pick at it, which is unlike him. Normally, he'll let me pick and groom pretty much no matter what. I am thinking he might have managed to get wet some how but still can't figure out how. I've read somewhere that humidity can make them mold and you can put an anti-fungal thing in their baths to help.

Any ideas? What should I do? Thanks.

·
I am allergic to maths
1,318 Posts
Im sorry to hear that, if it is fungus you will want anti fungal treatment but its possible that the vet will just cut it out

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
It might not be fungus, so in that case I would just take him to a vet to get it cut out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had him to the vet yesterday and he cut it out. It turned out that he must have peed in his dust bath and rolled in it. (or got in something sticky but I don't know where or how he would have found anything else sticky) No infections, no cuts, and no fungus. I came home with an annoyed but perfectly healthy chinchilla. :)
What anti fungal stuff are you referring to though because I haven't been able to find any?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can put TalcumPowder in the dust bath, not a huge alot, but some.
It can be used as a good preventative for fungus, many breeders will use it after a show, incase the chins have picked anything up at the show.

Generally however, if you have good husbandry practices you dont need to worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts