Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I got curious last night and decided to write Mazuri a letter. Here's the letter:
Hi there,

I am currently feeding my chinchillas Mazuri and they seem to be doing well on it. I am however concerned that your 11th ingredient is corn meal. I am of the understanding that corn in any form is difficult for an animal to digest and simply used as a filler. Is there any way that Mazuri Chinchilla could be manufactured without corn and still keep its nutritional content? If not, what is the purpose of the corn meal and why is it added in the first place?

I just want my chins to have the very best diet that they can have, and be healthy and happy.

Thank you for your time,
Stephanie
This was their response:

Thank you for contacting Mazuri. The Chinchilla diet contains ground corn rather than corn meal. The 2 ingredients provide different levels of nutrients and are used in different situations. We use the ground corn in the chinchilla diet at a very low level, however, corn is an excellent source of carbohydrate energy for animals. The starch is digestible and is not detrimental to the animals. In the chinchilla diet, you can see that alfalfa is the predominant ingredient, followed by soybean meal, then soybean hulls. These ingredients make up the bulk of the formula. The Chinchilla diet is well balanced and should give the animals a long, healthy life. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Tricia A. Lutman
Marketing & Technical
Communications Manager

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I think I might start looking for another feed. Corn is dangerous to chinnies but yet the best food around has it in it. Thanks for writing that letter Steph.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I've wondered the same thing myself. I think that corn meal and ground corn are slightly different from just corn in that it's broken down alot already. Between that and the corn being pretty far down on the list I'm not too worried. Mazuri is so widely used and recommended it doesn't seem like there's ever been many problems with it. I personally will keep using it. If you don't like it, there's a couple of new types of pellets coming out you might wanna check out (I can't for the life of me think of the names...), or the Kline diet.

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
I will continue to use it and promote it, I am impressed with their answer and the fact that they answered you so professionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. I feel more comfortable with Mazuri which has been so widely used for so long with no problems rather than a new feed on the market. The new foods may be just a good (and probably are) but I don't think I'll be one of the first to try something new.
:)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
After researching a few other feeds I am going to stick with Mazuri, my chins have done great since they have been on it. I agree with Christi I will continue to promote it.

Thanks Jorgha for all that research you done.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After posting this I went on a research spree for about three hours and found very little about corn being detrimental except to provide more stool. :shrug:

They answered me the next day and I'm inclined to trust in their answer until proven otherwise. The fact that she differentiated between corn meal and ground corn makes me feel a bit better as well. :)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I have to agree here... I use Mazuri and it is great. I think they were very professional in their response and that gives me more confidence in their product.

I know another breeder that tried one of the new diets out there, and it did not work at all for her. I think I will stick with what works.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Other bulletin board

I read on another bulletin board that they recently took the corn out of the mazuri. Were they misinformed? Just curious :) Thanks

Elena

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe so, yes. Considering that they just emailed me and haven't taken it out of their ingredient list ... ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
mazuri changes their ingrediants alot. If something in the receipe gets more expensive they substitute it and thus they keep it at the same price but the quality goes to hell. on my site were going to be selling a brand of food called rancher's choice that is used by us professional ranchers in southern california. were going to be the only site offering it and it is going to be the best stuff you can buy. on the site *Edited by Admin* you can view the ingrediants and get some information on it. if you have any questions regarding it call us. it will be for sale in early janurary as right now is the holidays and were not going to sell it tell after the first. hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Until they change the ingredients on the bag, I will not rely on heresay that corn was taken out. Chinrancher, would you provide the guaranteed analysis and ingredient list for us. Only companies that use collective ingredient names are able to switch the ingredients to a less-cost feed. Last time I checked my Mazuri bag, there weren't any collective terms. :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I don't think that Mazuri would switch their ingredients around like that. I have heard that about traditions though... the rancher that I buy alot of my chins from told us about what traditions has been known to do.

I trust Mazuri and will stay with it.

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Even so, I agree with Candycane and until you can prove otherwise I will continue to stand behind Mazuri.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not inclined at all to believe that they would change their ingredients, simply because they don't use (as Candycane said) collective feed terms. Not to mention because they don't use those terms, it's illegal for them to change the content, so why would they tell you about it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have talked to alot of my friends which are leading chinchilla breeders in the world some have 4000-6000 chinchillas. Corn meal is used as a binder which makes the pellet stayed together. there are other things which make a pellet stay together and are actually better for a chinchilla, but the cheapest thing is corn meal so that is what alot of these companies use. Now as for the ingredients on the bag it won't change because they just change one or two things in the formula until it becomes reasonably priced agian. they won't change the bag because it makes them look bad. hell i wouldn't change it if this occured to me. My new brand i will be carring besides mazuri is actually better and healthier then mazuri plus has a constant quality to it unlike mazuri. i am not saying mazuri is bad it is good, but not as good as what us ranchers use to feed our breeders. i don't care which one people buy because i sell both i am just saying mazuri isn't the world's best.

i sell mazuri cheaper then anyone on my site, so if you love mazuri which i know everyone does you can order it from me. as for this new brand, i will have it the 2nd or 3rd week of janurary depending on when the mill gets down with it. were currently making the pellets smaller so the chinchillas can hold on to it and eat it better. the formula for this new food and mazuri's food can be found on my site. *Edited by Admin* you can compare it their. hope this helps.

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Ya know, it seems to me that the only reason you're even involved in this discussion is to promote your site and to make some sales.

It's bad business to put down one product to try and get people to buy your product. And you can sit here and tell us what you "know" until you're blue in the face but why should we trust you when
1). You still haven't offered any proof to back up your claims
2). You have basically refused to show us the ingredient list and analysis of your "better food" and
3). You follow every statement with a plug for your website, which IMO is extremely tacky.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts