Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter
6,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to wait another week before posting this, but I just had to share my news now.

We put in applications to adopt a rescue dog awhile ago and we got a call about a week and a half ago. Helen is approximately 3-4 years old and was picked up from a shelter about a year ago by the Bull Terrier rescue group. Then she was adopted out to a man last November. He returned her to rescue due to a terminal illness, plus his son and 4 grandkids moved in with him and the son's dog kept beating up poor little Helen. The lady that was fostering her said the man told her that she was showing signs of OCD, that she would sit and stare in a corner then act like she couldn't find her way out. Plus she was scared of slippery, shiny floors. We decided we could handle her OCD and drove down to see her. Mirra and Sydnee went with us to make sure they got along. Scarlette has horrible car sickness and gets anxious in the vehicle so the lady said she could stay home.

The introductions went well, everyone got along great. So far no sign of the OCD and Helen is not at all afraid of shiny floors. Our one and only issue with her is that she thinks she's the couch commando. If she's on the couch, she doesn't want any of the other dogs near her. She's perfectly fine when she's on the floor. I tried to discuss this with the foster woman, who is also an obedience trainer, but she hasn't returned my email. :confused: We did contact another trainer and she said to keep Helen isolated from the living room until she learns her place in the pack. Also she is not allowed to be on the couch until she learns her role in the family. It's really hard to not scoop her up and put her on the couch with us, she's so darn cute! She doesn't jump up on her own. She acts as though she's never been allowed on furniture and hasn't quite figured out how to get up on her own. But, if that's what the trainer suggests, then that's what we'll do!

Without further ado..here's Helen....BTW, that's what her name has been the past year and she responds to it, so we decided to keep it the same. :lol:

Pics the rescue sent us....

Relaxing on the couch (BEFORE she decided to become the couch commando! :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awww bless
She's beautiful
I hope she's good.
Vixen

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
She is adorable!! Congrats :elmo:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love the eye patches! So glad to hear you guys rescued her. She is a lucky girl :)

Bullies are known for being bratty and bossy so it isnt any wonder she hogs the couch. I agree completely with your trainers advice about not allowing her on the furniture at all. The problem will only worsen if she is allowed. Keeping her on the floor at all times will help her learn. I'm not sure how much you are doing now but, making her sit and wait to eat, sitting and waiting before *you* go outside first, your family eating first, earning her treats, will all help to find her place in your pack.

Are bull terriers as well known as other bull dogs to be dog aggressive? Does she get along with the rest of your crew so far?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
she's way cute :heart:

·
6,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments everyone. :heart:

Favorite Kitty said:
Bullies are known for being bratty and bossy so it isnt any wonder she hogs the couch.
Helen is the 4th Bull Terrier I've owned, and oh yes, they can be bratty and bossy! :lol: Sydnee is a prime example of a bratty bully.

Favorite Kitty said:
Are bull terriers as well known as other bull dogs to be dog aggressive? Does she get along with the rest of your crew so far?
Bullies are like any other dog. It all depends on their temperment. :shrug: I've never had a problem with any of mine being dog aggressive with other dogs. Sydnee and Mirra have had squabbles in the past but it's mainly because Sydnee becomes annoying....constantly walking in front of Mirra, doing a quick snap at her as she walks by (not in an aggressive way, more like ruff playing). Mirra will get fed up with it and put her in her place. We've been working on that and so far no squabbles in about 5 months. We were completely up front and honest about the past squabbles with the foster mom and she was fine with it. She said it happens, they're just figuring out who's Alpha. :shrug: So far so good.

Favorite Kitty said:
I'm not sure how much you are doing now but, making her sit and wait to eat, sitting and waiting before *you* go outside first, your family eating first, earning her treats, will all help to find her place in your pack.
Yep, we do that with all of our dogs. :)

Helen is really food motivated, so it's been easy to work with her. She didn't know any commands such as sit and lay down but Jeff worked with her for a few minutes yesterday and now she knows sit.

We got so used to using hand signals when we had our deaf girl that we continued to use them when we got Mirra and Syd. We'll give a voice command along with the hand signal and those little brats will look at our other hand to see if we're holding a treat. If we don't have a treat, then forget it! Bullies are known for being stubborn and mine are no exception in that department!

·
Registered
968 Posts
She is so pretty :) congratulations on your new addition. I love your little bully girls, they are so cute, I love the opposite patches on the eyes of Mirra and Sydnee and now Helen has them on both eyes, I bet they are adorable all walking together, and of course I LOVE your doberman too :). You have such beautiful dogs.

Helen is going to have to learn to share the couch though, because we all know how much the other 3 love being on the couch, from the adorable pictures. I am wondering though where you and hubby will be sitting now that you will be having 4 dogs on the couch? :rofl:

Congrats and thanks for rescuing!!! So when do you get to pick her up or do you already have her?

·
6,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aww, thanks for the nice compliments. :)

We used to get alot of people looking at us when we walked the other 3 dogs. Now that we have a 4th, people actually stare at us. :rolleyes: Jeff thinks they're staring because people aren't used to seeing Bull Terriers around here, plus the patches on opposite eyes and now one that has patches on both eyes. I think people are staring because they think we are completely insane to have 4 dogs. :lol:

Yes, we are a little crazy but I don't think we've reached the insane level yet.

Helen has been with us for exactly one week now. The foster mom let us bring her home the day we met Helen. I was expecting a little bit of a waiting period so I was a little unprepared for her to come home the same day. We were told she came with a crate, but nope. We had to stop on the way home to get one.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Rhonda, you sneaky girl you! Congratulations on adopting Helen! She must be in heaven with her new home! Oh, and those patches around her eyes are irresistable! :heart:

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
oh she's so gorgeous! i'm glad you're adopting her. i used to babysit for a fam that had a bull terrier, and she did shows all over the states, and did breeding sometimes. i'd always babysit while they went down south to look for men to breed with her. she was SUCH a good dog to me (considering i was a stranger who was babysitting). she really was a big ham, just wanted cuddles and attention, and is very upfront about it! best wishes with her! i know she'll bless your hearts :)

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
beautiful dog!

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Aw! She's gorgeous! :heart: I'm so glad you have her now. :yes:
How is Scarlette reacting to her?
More pics, btw! :D :gimme:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Congrats on your new addition, she is a real cutie! :)

·
Poo dont scare me!!!
3,758 Posts
I tried posting earlier but it wouldnt let me! :) Anyhow, she is gorgeous and I hope she gets over her couch hogging syndrome soon...haha! :lol:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Congrats on the new addition, she's very pretty! What's Jeff doin' surrounded by all these ladies, lol? He's way outnumbered!

·
Title Thief Victim
3,089 Posts
wow..what a cutie! im soo glad that you took her in..Im assuming she's getting along with everyone well.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Congrats!!! She is soooo cute!!! :heart:

I adore Bull Terriers and want one badly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts