Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has an explanation for this behaviour. My mouse, Moose, has taken to burying my hand in bedding and even picking up food and placing it in my hand (only when she's in the process of burying it in bedding already, though). I have included a picture of the result of her strange (but adorable) behaviour. She seemed to start doing this almost as soon as she was comfortable being near my hands and taking treats from me. I think it's cute but I also find it puzzling! I'm not sure if she does this in the hopes of keeping my hand in place, or what. Sure is funny though. In the past, she would only partially bury it but this time she nearly covered my entire palm (btw that is her in the picture).

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of that before, but it does sound really cute! :) I have never had mice (although I love em..they are adorable) so I am wondering what that behavior means as well. It could certainly be a sign of affection perhaps, among other things. Is Moose a lone mouse or does she have sisters/housemates? I ask because female mice can get very lonely if they are housed by themselves as they are so social. If she is a lone mouse, maybe she is trying to coax you into staying put in her house, by burying your hand, as if to say to you (via your hand) "Don't leave! Stay here with me." That could be totally off the mark but I was just brainstorming. Of course you will get some knowledgeable advice from others here who know about mice behavior. But I am curious too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thanks for your feedback =) she actually does have a buddy (also female, named Stripe). They are from the same litter and get along relatively well, despite Moose being twice the size of Stripe. The interesting thing is that Stripe doesn't do the hand-burying, ever, but I think that is also because she is the shy one. Stripe will take food from me but she is otherwise very shy of approaching if she notices me poking around in the cage (so I usually let her be).

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I have also never seen this behavior either.
Maybe sense she puts food in your hnd after burying it she thinks you are a safe place to put her goodies. lol
Or she is treating you like her baby. :)
I am only guessing though.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Well, so much for my "she is lonely" theory! Ha ha. I am glad she has a buddy!
Yeah, something tells me whatever her reason for trying to bury your hand, it is something she is doing out of affection, I think. So sweet! I wish I knew exactly what her reason was. She obviously loves you though. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Haha! I never thought of it that way, but you two might be onto something. I love animals, they're always cute and often very funny. Things like this make me wish I knew more about animal behaviour, though. :geek: I suppose we'll only ever be able to make guesses as to why, since obviously we can't just ask them. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yeah, I wish we could talk to them so much. They would have so much to tell us. You know what they say..."If animals could talk, everyone would be vegetarian." :)
I am sure if she could talk, she would tell you she loves you.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
If animals could talk I would just be hearing "where are more treats?" all day everyday. lol
And my cat Tao telling me she likes my husband more. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha awww, thanks =) I would hope she would say that! I know I tell my pets that I love them (a lot.. haha). If only they could talk. Then again, if they could I'm sure at least a couple of my hamsters would have constantly been begging me to let them out to run around. They already did that by biting the cage bars a lot. Hehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts