Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 pet male mice, and yes I know males tend to fight more often then females, but I'm not sure how to control their fighting? A few times they've shed blood and have become not-so-healthy? due to this. The main problem is the wheel, so I've tooken that out a few times, but they still fight. It's kinda starting to really worry me- I've even seperated them (I have a 2 level cage), but they do try to get to the others half. If anybody has any tips or suggestions..? that'd be great, thanks!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Male mice are very territorial and almost always fight like you are experiencing. Because you have seen blood more than once, they need to be separated in different cages. You might think they will be lonely, but if they liked their friend then they wouldn't fight with them. If you leave them together they could kill each other. Male mice shouldn't be kept together.

Just make sure that they both have a wheel in their cage because mice are very addicted to their wheels and it helps to keep their weight under control. You could even easily make them each a hammock out of an old wash cloth or towel.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I take it you got them as baby boys and they got along just fine? Then they started to grow up. Well boys will fight and even kill each other so there's no controlling anything. The norm is single boys, and the rarity is when boys can live together. Looks like you are going to have to get a whole new setup for Bachelor #2.

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
I had to seperate my 2 males too, so you're not alone. But blood was never drawn. Mine were fighting the night we got them. Males will do just fine alone, they just need more loves :).

They need to be seperated. Because they'll fight to the death.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Seeing as they fought more then once with bloodshed,they will need to be seperated.Male mice can and often will fight to the death.Males are highly territorial and RARELY can live in harmony.Don't worry,they will be fine on their own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts