Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone maybe help me find a mouse on craigslist? i've been looking all morning and all i can find is computer parts. i live near dallas. (sorry if this wouldnt be the place to post this.. it was about a mouse so i thought it fit)

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I'm in Houston area and in the past year I have seen only a few mice for adoption through criagslist. Mainly feeder mice or breeders that got overwhelmed or kids who never took care of them properly. However sometimes there are good mice owners trying to rehome their mice from there. Make sure you look at temperment and health before bringing them home. If oyu don't have any luck I would look up petstores/feed stores.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh nvm about this thread. i thought the mice were like 12-15 dollars but theyre only 5-6 lol so i can buy a couple no problem

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
For food? Or pet?

You can always post a "wanted" ad in your local classified site.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pet but im breeding them for food(and its also a school type thing.. im homeschooled)i got some today though theyre so cute

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Pictures!? :D

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
What kind of home school project will it be when you have 30 mice?!?! LOL Just kidding. But they breed awful fast if you don't know how to sex them. I had an accidental litter a couple years ago, the same week the mom gave birth she got pregnant again o_O

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
That is true...a mouse can get pregnant within' 12-24 hours after giving birth.

While I am all for breeding your own feeders...with one snake it may not be worth it. Unless you breed one litter and only use the young when you need them. Mice breed fast and a lot.

Oh and any males need to be separated from each other, as males will fight to the death. Females can live in groups. I suggest just keeping one male.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is true...a mouse can get pregnant within' 12-24 hours after giving birth.

While I am all for breeding your own feeders...with one snake it may not be worth it. Unless you breed one litter and only use the young when you need them. Mice breed fast and a lot.

Oh and any males need to be separated from each other, as males will fight to the death. Females can live in groups. I suggest just keeping one male.
i have a cage im going to separate them with. and i know they were fighting at the petstore ): mine has lil chips in his ears but he was black(the female is black to) and the healthiest looking one so i picked him

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of home school project will it be when you have 30 mice?!?! LOL Just kidding. But they breed awful fast if you don't know how to sex them. I had an accidental litter a couple years ago, the same week the mom gave birth she got pregnant again o_O
lol well i thought i might sell some and see how that goes.. im trying to see if having a career with animals seems doable or if theyre just to hard to sell... i dont wanna be a vet everyone says i should be but im not sitting in my room taking care of sick animals im taking care of healthy ones. im also going to take one from the first litter to see how long it takes for them to grow up and if it acts any different then the parents since theyre from petstores i dunno lol.. its really fun to me. :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Rodents go into heat every 4 days and within 48 hours of giving birth so learning to sex is VERY important.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I look forward to the pictures.

Oh and if you plan on selling babies for pets,good luck...it is hard to find GOOD homes for mice.If you sell for food,you should not have a problem selling them.

Just sayin'.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Yes I agree. Selling mice to people who want feeders willl work. Or if you sold them for experimentation. I remember some kids interested in buying mice off me in junior high so they could torture them, set fire to them or something. They had no shame in telling me what they wanted to do. You have to be careful bc not a lot of people are interested in mice as pets. They're too easy to come by. People want hamsters and rats. Mice are feeders, bottom of the food chain- nothing to a lot of people.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Yes I agree. Selling mice to people who want feeders willl work. Or if you sold them for experimentation. I remember some kids interested in buying mice off me in junior high so they could torture them, set fire to them or something. They had no shame in telling me what they wanted to do. You have to be careful bc not a lot of people are interested in mice as pets. They're too easy to come by. People want hamsters and rats. Mice are feeders, bottom of the food chain- nothing to a lot of people.
And thats a horrible fact many people also mistreat and improperly care for rats. Hamsters are probably the worst though People get them and stick several in a cage too small for one.

I dont understand people that just destroy animals both mentally and physically :(

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I know. I emailed someone today off kijiji who was looking for a couple hamsters for 1 cage. So many people see baby syrians in one cage in the store ad think they'll grow up getting along. This ad was asking for a couple females from the same litter. -_- Talk about informing yourself. There's no excuse in the age of internet.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
actually dwarfs you can females from the same litter work if you have two of everything

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I know dwarves can be housed together but she was looking for syrians. Dwarf hamsters ust are not as popular here as "cute widdle teddy bear" hammies are. Those and panda, and black bear hamsters are what people buy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts